iPhone Wifi Network Login Connundrum

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Oct 27, 2014.

1. willmtaylor, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

[Disclaimer: Both of the devices are running iOS 8.1]

I work at a university and am using my iPhone 6 & iPad 2 all day long. At the university, the wifi network requires entering your faculty/student ID/password. After putting in the combo, my iPad stays connected or reconnects without issue from building to building, day to day.

However, my iPhone continually disconnects me (after seemingly brief period of inactivity), and I have to, again, put in my credentials. For the record, I do have Auto-Join and Auto-Login enabled.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Does your iPad have an 802.1X certificate installed? Most Universities use that as an automatic authentication/connect for Wifi networks. Your phone might be missing that certificate.

You can check by going into your iPad's Settings and tap "General," then scroll down where "iTunes WiFi sync" is displayed. Underneath that, there should be a VPN option, followed by "Profile." If it's installed, you'll either see the name of your university network, or something more generic (like "Cisco" or something similar).

Unfortunately, those certificates don't transfer between devices. You'll need to talk to your university's It department about what steps you need to take to install it on your phone (usually it just involves going to a special website and following a few steps).

3. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks for the reply. This is completely outside of my realm of expertise.

I don't see the certificate that you're referring to. Here's a screenshot, should it be visible from here?

Attached Files:

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, and unfortunately, no certificate. So, something else is going on here. Sorry.