iphone wifi order preference

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jocab64, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jocab64 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I was wondering if any one knows of a way to set priorities to certain networks on my iphone. I have issues when I'm away from my home network for example...

When I visit my parents house I sign onto there standard network with ssid "actiontec" using their password. This works great while I'm there. When I return home to my apartment my phone defaults to the network that is also named "actiontec" from another tenant in my building, only now the password is incorrect (obviously) and I default back to 3g. To have my phone default back to my network I have to select "forget this network" (actionec) This works fine until I return to my parents and need to input there password again.

I think if there was a way to set my home network as the primary network and "actiontec" as the secondary network (similar to how networks are handles in OSX) then I could avoid this inconvinience.

Am I crazy picky or are others experiencing the same annoyance?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I have not had the same problem but have been aware that this is a problem. Although this is a problem, it is not Apple's problem. The reason this happens is because whatever company is providing the Wifi is allowing people to have SSID numbers with the same name. This is why that happens. THere is currently now way to access a specific network only in one or more specific places. Most providers do not allow multiple matching SSID numbers. Have you ever seen a network called 2WIRE........ well that is an AT&T network. AT&T gives out these as the SSID numbers and thats it. None match and no problems. If only companies would care about the iPhone minority:( (more like a majority):D