iPhone WiFi problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cooluc, Mar 1, 2009.

1. cooluc macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2009
    I have a jailbroken iphone 3g FW 2.2.1. It's been working great till last night, when it just refused to join my wifi network (it had WEP security). I decided to see if it was my network, so i tried to join another random network near me, als owith WEP. I entered a random password, and instead of getting 'Incorrect passphrase' error, i got the same error as when i tried to join my network (Unable to join network 'SSID', or Failed to Join Network 'SSID'). So, i tried joining another random network, this time it was not protected, and the iPhone joined it. So i changed my security from WEP to WPA2 Personal. When i tried to reconnect, surprisingly, it worked. So, i just thought my iphone didn't like WEP. No problem. Now, tonight, it stopped working again, and once again refused to join any protected WiFi networks (Unable to Join Network "SSID"/Failed to Join network "SSID"). I tried everything, from frogetting the network to resetting my network settings to doing a hard reset on my phone, yet it still won't connect. Do i have to return it to apple, or is there a solution?
  2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Mar 18, 2008
    Bracknell UK
    Well, before you return it, try putting it into DFU mode and doing a full restore. I guess you'd have to do that anyway to get rid of the jailbreak if you decide to return it.

Then if it still won't work it's probably a hardware fault.
  3. cooluc thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2009
    Well, right now i'm not at home, i'm on vacation, and i'd prefer to not have to restore it, since i won't be able to re-sync my songs and apps.