iphone wifi question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ac-mac, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ac-mac macrumors member

i am planning on buying an iphone on nov 9 in UK, and then unlocking it for use with Tmobile. I am using a prepaid card so obviously will not be able to use EDGE, but can i connect to my home wifi network for free? The reason i ask is because o2 has included wifi in their data plans, and i don't see how this works as i should be able to connect to whatever wifi network i want (provided i have sufficient access) and therfore there is no reason for o2 to mention wifi in the data plan?

2. dodonutter macrumors regular

It only includes WiFi in the tariff as it has a deal with The Cloud (www.thecloud.net) to use their hotspots for free instead of having to give your credit card details if you ever wana use them.

They are all over the places mainly in pubs but my student union has one for example. they are all over the place.

Other WiFi networks you can use at any time without O2 even knowing about it (as long as you have the password for the network or its open) as the data doesn't go through their system so they would have no way of charging you for it even if they wanted to.

So basically yes you can connect to your home network for free. your phone looks like any other computer to the base station so it would be the same as connecting a laptop for example.