Iphone wifi SO FED UP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by treehugginhippy, Feb 24, 2016.

1. treehugginhippy macrumors newbie

I have a iphone 6 plus with up to date firmware that continually drops wifi in my house or is under .05 mbps when my wired connection tests at 80+mbps. I know it is not the router itself as i have tried 2 different ones with the same result, and other phones/devices connect to it fine.

I have tried:

Reset network settings
    Hard reset
    Changing wifi routers

I havent tried setting up as a new phone because that seems pretty ridiculous to fix a wifi problem. Why is this so hard apple? Any help?

Attached Files:

2. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I'd take it into the Apple store. That's definitely not normal so they should look into it for you.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

First thing Apple will have you do is restore and setup as new. If it still does the same they will replace the phone.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Which routers have you tried? I have two old routers that still work for a B or G connection.

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

what is the link speed between your iphone and the router?

some thoughts:
    - if your router has beamforming functionality, try to turn them off and check if that helps.
    - reset network settings from your iphone
    - try differend channels (router)
    - try changing dtim and beacon intervals (router, defaults are usually 3/100, shouldnt affect your iphone though)

6. treehugginhippy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have new one from comcast and one i own that is about 2 years old its a motorola surfboard. I'll try what you guys suggested thanks for the help. I have a feeling im going to have to restore as new and lose all my stuff

7. bpeeps, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Are you sure you're distinguishing between a router and a cable modem? I don't have Comcast, but if you rent something from them I'd highly guess it's a modem or a router/modem combo. The Motorola Surfboards are typically modems, not routers (though I'm sure there's a combo model out there).

8. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Which is backed up, so what's the problem? Surely the phone isn't authoritative?

9. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

If the Surfboard is a 6580, it is capable of decent speeds and I would trust it until I could prove otherwise. The 2.4 GHz channels should be better than what you are seeing now.

10. treehugginhippy thread starter macrumors newbie

They are both modem/router combo models, going to try a restore soon..

11. treehugginhippy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i tried to do a clean restore of the iphone but i'm getting tons of errors, first it wouldnt' let me connect to the apple servers so i tried DFU mode to restore and now i'm getting error 3194 codes. why is this such a ***** joke?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    manual restore is going now... remind me again why people think apple is "so user friendly"?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

13. joy_ng macrumors member

Why don't you just make an appointment at the Apple Store and see how they can help you?

14. treehugginhippy thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like i'm going to have to.. Closest store is 45 min away. The restore didn't help my speeds are still abysmal

15. heebie jeebie macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    I had a similar issue. Try changing your dns to

16. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Do you have a laptop or different wifi device to test the speedtest? This would show if it is the router or iphone that is the problem.

17. HEK, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

One time I had issue with phone on wifi even though Mac and iPad were fine. Tried everything with phone. What solved it was odd but it was worked.

I reset the Apple extreme router as if from new. Set up same way, same channel, same password, name etc. and after that all devices were reset network wise all devices worked fine including the phone that was giving problems.

It doesn't take long, and it worked when everything else did not. Some flag was set, or got confused in some way when I added the phone originally. Give it a try and let us know.

18. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm not sure how modifying DNS would help with speed test results. Yes it could help load websites and other content faster if it's a DNS issue, but once it connects to the IP of the speed test server DNS isn't a factor. Still, it's not unreasonable to recommend utilizing a different DNS other than what the OP is using from his/her ISP.

Also I've noticed I've been having a lot of issues with my iPhone and my router. I have 2 MacBook Airs with zero issues and 1 Windows computer all getting 80-110 Mbps when testing. My iPhone has tested as slow as 0.71Mbps but usually gets around 20Mbps. When it's slow I'll just use LTE for a little then go back to wifi and it's fine.

19. cynics macrumors G4

Exactly which model Motorola Surfboard do you have?

Using Xfinity/Comcast those speeds will be expected if it doesn't support 'channel bonding' especially during peak hours, so it will be intermittent.

Aside from that it sounds like your phone may have a hardware problem since this isn't a very common problem. Nor is running into a ton of errors just doing a simple restore.

20. DblHelix macrumors regular

How far from the modem are you. A normal size house really needs extenders or preferably all rooms wired and an access point per room. I get 130 down on my ac1900 asus in my apartment. My parents house is much slower unless you are in the room with the router