Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubu91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
hello!

my laptop stopped connecting to the home wifi, but my iphone and ipad have no problem. i had this problem before with my laptop but managed to fix it with a driver reinstall, but this time no matter what i do it just refuses to connect. i know android has wifi tethering through usb. does the iphone have something like this?

also, i saw in another thread that someone suggested using an "usb wifi dongle". could someone explain to me pls what exactly is that thing and if it could resolve my situation?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
hello!

my laptop stopped connecting to the home wifi, but my iphone and ipad have no problem. i had this problem before with my laptop but managed to fix it with a driver reinstall, but this time no matter what i do it just refuses to connect. i know android has wifi tethering through usb. does the iphone have something like this?

also, i saw in another thread that someone suggested using an "usb wifi dongle". could someone explain to me pls what exactly is that thing and if it could resolve my situation?

Two options:
1) your network allows tethering, just set up the tether, I think the USB should work, but possibly not.
2) jailbreak and use PDAnet. It definitely has USB tethering, though may require the computer to install the drivers.

Bubu91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
what do you mean by "your network allows tethering"? what does that mean?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
what do you mean by "your network allows tethering"? what does that mean?

ATT/verizon/ect. My att account does not allow tethering while the family shared plans do allow. The only difference we can see on the phone is that it is provisioned and will tell you if it is or not.

Bubu91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
well i dont want to use my phone 3g:( and i don t want to jailbreak it. guess i ll just buy an usb wifi stick

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
well i dont want to use my phone 3g:( and i don t want to jailbreak it. guess i ll just buy an usb wifi stick

Before you do that, look at your wifi settings. Because N was in draft so long, not all devices are compatible with all settings. Your laptop could be 2.4ghz only and your network is on 5ghz is one of these possibilities. Another one is that your laptop's max speed is limited while your network is forced to perform at a high speed...that will cause the network to be seen and keep the laptop from connecting. If it's a windows, you may want to reinstall the OS. Windows has issues with time.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
at what settings should i look?

Depends on the router. You need to first look at your laptop, hit the device manager and look at your wifi card. Do some goggling on that card to see what it should be doing. On your router, you need to log into it:

192.168.1.1 is normal, apple uses something different starting in 10. If you look at your phone's IP address, it will be the gateway address it is connected to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.