iPhone will have turn by turn directions for GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jun 14, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

The SDK states that you cannot make turn by turn direction based software for the iPhone. Correct me if I am wrong (no I didnt search threads, I only have a few mins to type this) but.. they mean you cant use the built in Google maps for this. Basically, TomTom could make a turn by turn app for the phone, but they have to use their own maps.

Am I wrong here? I believe without a doubt, TomTom and Garmin will be allowed to make GPS turn by turn software for the iPhone, they just cant use the Google maps program for this purpose - thus, the restriction.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah -- this has been pretty widely reported. As long as TomTom or whoever supplies their own maps, it seems it'll be allowed.

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok thank you :) This phone is really going to revolutionize the phone industry... again!

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

the iphone will have gps tracking with gps+google maps, but i think one of the bigger names would be making a tracking app with their own maps stored on the phone for use when there is gps reception but no 3g/edge.