iphone: will low disk space cuase lower performance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevinpong, Oct 15, 2011.

1. kevinpong macrumors newbie

will iPhone has low disk space cause lower performance?

example:16gb uses 13gb, and only left 500mb disk space. will this lower performance ?

please leave your comments

2. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

yeah well the OS takes up some space. but i thought the RAM would be higher...but if they can optimize a smaller amount to work as a good as another phone with a larger amount, whats the difference

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not really. I was running the iPhone 4 32GB with about 100MB of free space for months; never really had performance issues. It did get annoying sometimes when I take a picture and it tells me I'm out of free space.

4. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i think you guys ar getting ram mixed up with actual 'hard drive' space

5. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Well,

There are certain circumstances where "free space" on the device will effect performance.

If you're using an application that Caches information from the internet, you should have enough space for that App to save the data it needs out to "disk". That way it doesn't need to re-fetch the data over WiFi or 3G if it needs it.

If an App gets a "Device is low on disk space" message, it is supposed to clear temporary files and caches to free up space.

So, yeah, in some cases, having almost no free space will make some types of Apps perform slower. (Safari for example likes to cache images etc., and will have to refetch them from the web if you don't have "disk" space free.)

>500MB free is actually a LOT of space for caches and temp files. You shouldn't have any trouble with that.

<50MB free on the other hand might be slowing down some operations because your apps don't have space to cache files.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

As far as I know, the Darwin kernel deals with disk cache as a quota of disk space left. If you have too little, I think performance may be impacted.