Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink.... I don't know what will go first, the iPhone or Christianity. The iPhone is more popular than Jesus now. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me." - John Lennon on the iPhone

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? By buying an iPhone"

-Friedrich Nietzsche

gr8ful

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Wongulous,

I think you are right that Apple can't afford to ride the iPhone gravy train and stop innovating the iPod. Being locked to a carrier for as long as Apple is to AT&T hinders the iPhone's growth quite a bit when you think about how many phones they could sell if they had no carrier exclusive agreement.

I bet we'll see a widescreen iPod by Christmas that is iPhone like without the phone. I just hope it has wifi and the browser. I think Jobs gave us a hint when he said the following in his Town Hall meeting to Apple:

Regarding OS X:
"There is one OS group that does Mac OS X for the Mac and the iPhone, as well as "some iPods we're working on."

If nothing else, I expect the higher capacity iPods to be widescreen, else why take the effort to port OS X to it?

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
Apple can't afford to ride the iPhone gravy train and stop innovating the iPod. Being locked to a carrier for as long as Apple is to AT&T hinders the iPhone's growth quite a bit when you think about how many phones they could sell if they had no carrier exclusive agreement.

I bet we'll see a widescreen iPod by Christmas that is iPhone like without the phone. I just hope it has wifi and the browser. I think Jobs gave us a hint when he said the following in his Town Hall meeting to Apple:

Regarding OS X:
"There is one OS group that does Mac OS X for the Mac and the iPhone, as well as "some iPods we're working on."

If nothing else, I expect the higher capacity iPods to be widescreen, else why take the effort to port OS X to it?

That's what I'm expecting. I wonder how they'll innovate the iPod beyond "iPhone without phone and EDGE" style... maybe it'll expand to include a more fully-featured iPod much like the iTablet of the past 8+ years' rumors. Who knows.

Thanks for taking this seriously instead of going all meta on me. Though I love MR members' sense of humor, generally. :)

cdewitt

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
id be willing to bet that the next ipod is a competely seperate design than the iphone

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
iPhone doesn't need to sell as many. Apple will be getting a share of subscriptions + ringtones so their profits will be much higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.