iPhone will not connect to EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oranges, May 25, 2008.

1. oranges macrumors member

Since yesterday, my iPhone has not been able to connect to the AT&T EDGE network and maintain the connection for longer than a minute. I had originally thought it was an AT&T EDGE network outage, but today I decided it couldn't be - they wouldn't have an EDGE outage for over a day.

I called AT&T and they pushed an update to my phone. That didn't work.

Finally, my neighbor allowed me to put my SIM in his (unlocked) iPhone, and there were no problems.

It would appear that the phone is the issue, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should try before giving Apple a call.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

1) AT&T can't push an update to your phone.

2) So that means his phone is working properly.

3) And yours isn't working. I had this issue where my signal for EDGE and voice was very bad. I called Apple, scheduled an appointment the next day, and they gave me a new iPhone. There is really nothing we can do, unless you tried restoring it already.

3. oranges thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I've tried restoring it. What they meant by pushing an update was a network update - i.e. MCC/MNCs. The phone had a "Pwr on/off" question where I could accept or cancel after the CSR pushed this update.

I'm on hold with Apple right now.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I've had some flakey EDGE issues over the last couple weeks but it seems to be based on where I am. I could have full signal and sometimes EDGE is there and sometimes it isn't. Then I go into a different area outside of that cell's coverage and I'm fine. I tried going to AT&T about it but they claim they're not having any issues in these particular areas.

5. oranges thread starter macrumors member

As I said, I tried in a different phone with no EDGE issues. I've had EDGE before in my place so I don't think it's a coverage issue... Just a defective phone.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sometimes it fails to rejoin EDGE after an outage and it needs to be reset (infrequently, but I have experienced that), but if it still won't work on EDGE even after being reset, let alone restored, yeah, just send it back and make them replace it.

7. oranges thread starter macrumors member

Well, I stopped by the La Encantada store today for my Genius Bar appointment.

The bad part: EDGE worked. EDGE works fine at the store. And I'm back home now, where it's not working. AT&T already confirmed coverage here, and the fact that I tested it in a different phone meant nothing to the store.

The 4 possible issues the manager presented were:

1) Software issue (fix: restore)
    2) SIM card issue (fix: get a new SIM card)
    3) Network issue (fix: call AT&T)
    4) Hardware issue (fix: replace iPhone)

#1, #2, and #3 can be ruled out. Unfortunately the genius didn't understand that.

So what do I do? Well, they told me to call AppleCare each time it happens. I expect to call AppleCare at least 100 times tomorrow (they're closed now, otherwise I'd call now).

8. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Take it again if the store is close to you. Get a different genius look at it. Explain it to him what happened and that you talked to att manager and stuff. Maybe youll get it. Dont forget to take a shotgun just incase they say no again.

9. oranges thread starter macrumors member

ROFLMAO.

I didn't talk to an AT&T manager, just an AT&T phone CSR. There's also a case number which I gave to them - they even looked it up. I'll just call AppleCare and after 3 or so times just say "how many times do I have to call you to get you to replace this damn thing?" and see what they say...

10. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Just tell them that you are a big apple customer and cite examples of that. Tell them if they do not fix this for you, they'll lose a customer. They'll cave in.:|. Also, its not like its not an issue, it is an issue and they just couldn't get it fixed. Thats not the Apple Customer Service all of us are used to. They will help you out in the end.

11. oranges thread starter macrumors member

Good idea... I've spent about $8K at Apple in the past few months, so I'll try that.

12. oranges thread starter macrumors member

Here's my diagnosis of the issue: AT&T coverage is spotty here. In fact, on the street right next to me, there are zero bars (more bars in more places, right? :p) which is retarded since I'm in a pretty big area.

So the signal is not as good as the signal at the Apple Store (there must be a tower or an amplifier somewhere, since signal is wonderful in that area). And the antenna in the phone probably can't get the weak signal. The genius did note that EDGE was really sluggish - which makes sense if the antenna is bad.

Just now I got my neighbor's phone again and tried EDGE in my house, for 5 minutes. EDGE signal all along. So it's not a matter of no coverage inside my house; even AT&T confirmed there is coverage.

13. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Just bug the hell outta them. Good luck I am sure you'll get it.

14. oranges thread starter macrumors member

I'm planning to call quite a few times tomorrow. Probably 50 at the minimum. :)

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I know it sucks to have issues, but... why would you need EDGE to work in your house?

16. oranges thread starter macrumors member

I pay for EDGE service; the coverage area of said EDGE service includes my house (according to AT&T), so why should it not work in my house?

17. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm not saying it shouldn't work in your house, but why would you want it to when you can be on WiFi?

18. oranges thread starter macrumors member

It's not just that... The issue is the phone is defective, so it causes EDGE problems not only at my house. I have no EDGE from my house all the way to I'd say Ina Rd. (in Tucson, AZ). A far distance.

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Ahh alright, I thought the issue was just at your house.
    And even if it were, I would probably want a new on too.

20. oranges thread starter macrumors member

Heh, yup. :) BTW, for those not in Tucson, to get to Ina Rd. you typically have to go on the freeway (depending on where you live)... so I'd consider it fairly major that EDGE doesn't work on the freeway.

21. oranges thread starter macrumors member

Just got back from the store where they replaced the phone. Works now! :D

22. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

The cretins should have replaced the thing first time around... how can they waste your time when their hardware is defective and their mistake..