iPhone will not turn off/wakes by itself

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by topher2889, Jun 19, 2009.

1. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I have an original iPhone that recently came in contact with a very small amount of water thanks to a leaky tupperware container. After letting the phone dry out for a few days in some rice everything seemed to be working perfectly. That is until I realized that the screen turns itself on every minute or so throughout the day. This is killing battery life.

Also, when I try to turn the phone off by either holding down the sleep button and sliding the bar or doing a hard reset it turns right back on by itself. The only way I can get the darn thing to turn off is to place it in the dock without the cable connected to it. This also stops the screen from turning on by itself.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the dock connector shorting out because I sometimes see the message "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone" pop up when nothing is plugged in. I have tried cleaning the pins of the dock with alcohol wipes, but it still does this. I am out of warranty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. jjd315 macrumors newbie

any solution found?

this just started happening to me. did you ever figure anything out? thanks!

3. maxshred macrumors newbie

Not turning off

Same problem with an original iPhone I use for music and Safari only. I'll try your suggestion on the dock-without-cable; thanks! I was going to suggest blowing all the gunk out of the dock connector, but you already hit it with alcohol, so that's out.