Iphone / Windows Mobile comparison

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TronPlayer, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TronPlayer macrumors newbie

I must say that I am a tad disappointed in my iPhone 3g and new iMac 24" 2.8g. I fell into the hype that Apple products were less problematic, better supported and more advanced that Windows based products. Nothing can be further from the truth. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone has a great interface and appears to be a very high-quality handheld device. I've had 2 Windows Mobile devices before the iPhone and they literally clean the floor with the iPhone as far as features and reliability goes. To be fair, the screen and sensitivity of the iPhone are superior to WM but what good is that when the iPhone locks up, home button sticks, calls constantly dropped, 3G doesn’t work where other phones do. Even when I use just the iPod function it periodically crashes when I skip from song to song. The speaker phone sucks and I can’t even hear the other caller in most cases. I can't even customize my home screen with appointments, alarms, etc. Maybe I am just frustrated and I hope 2.1 fixes some problems.

Now for the iMac. It too has crashed on me several times. Games are pathetic. I even upgraded to the geForce 8800 for an additional $150 and frame rates are 1/4 of what they were on my PC. Leopard and Safari are not any better/easier to use than Vista. I guess the iMac problems are best suited for a different forum.

Here is my theory on the iPhone ...

Until the iPhone 3g the "third party app department" was not really a problem for apple. Microsoft has been allowing all kinds of third party apps on their devices for years with nearly no problems. It's easy to consider yourself superior or innovative when you keep all the doors of freedom closed. As soon as those doors are opened for apple I realized something. Microsoft has done a great job with their Windows/Mobile operating system. Microsoft has always been more free and innovative than apple and therefore has experience dealing with third party issues out of their direct control. As soon as apple opens this door, their product falls apart ... I hope apple fixes this soon or the iPhone and iMac are going on eBay.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Take advantage of the return policy then.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Please do follow up with that on another forum.

The iPhone has lots of unresolved issues, but the iMacs don't. Something is broken and, unlike with the iPhone, should be fixable. There's no reason for any of this.

4. Jestered macrumors 6502

MS innovative??? What are you smoking? Not only is MS not innovative, but they are probably the least innovative company in the field.

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

Yes they have, yet somehow 90% of the 3rd party apps for WinMo devices are utter crap compared to what is already available on the App Store after just a few months.

With WinMo, you have to deal with complex compatibility issues across device types and screen configurations, OS slowdowns due to background processes, non standard interfaces, and the need to dig around various websites to find the app you're looking for. On the iPhone, it's all in one place, it all uses pretty standard UI elements, and many apps are just incredibly slick. More than anything else, the 3rd party apps have impressed me the most on my 3 month old iPhone 3G. And before this I had WinMo for years and went through a LOT of 3rd party apps (often just to uninstall them after a few months of frustration).

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You picked the wrong web site to post this.
    All you will get here is a heavily biased response. It's an Apple fan site. ;)

Go to Howard Forums if you want a less skewed response from people who may have actually USED a Windows Mobile phone for more than 30 seconds.

7. redman042 macrumors 68020

I agree he picked the wrong site, but I'd argue a lot of us came from WinMo (I did).

8. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I owned two Win Mobile devices prior to the iPhone. I had no issues with Win Mobile. I just didn't care too much for the devices that used it. I like the design and hardware features of the iPhone more than the blackberry, win mobile and palm devices.