Iphone wireless help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ponchobot, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Ponchobot macrumors member

Okay, this might not have a whole lot to do with this fourms.. but i figured I'd give it a shot.
    So here's the problem, my wireless on my iPhone seemed to be messed up or something. I can connect to my schools wireless with their WEP key, and i'm connect.. fine. but it's when i try to load ANYTHING but Opera Mini is where the problem is. See Opera Mini will allow me to connect to the internet no problem, but when i go through safari, cydia or any apps like that it won't allow me and says there is no internet connection. Now i know my school has like super locked down internet, but this is the same code that the computers use and i don't understand why it would only work in Opera Mini.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Insomnihax macrumors newbie

That is rather odd. If you entered the WEP key correctly, safari along with any other apps that require data should load properly. If you can connect with a laptop and surf just fine then you know it's not the WEP Key or their Firewall Rules. I would also try a different wifi access point to verify that Cydia, Safari, and other apps work fine. I'm wondering if they don't allow mobile devices and opera may be showing up as a desktop browser...........

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I've had similar issues on "guest" networks where email, AIM, facetime etc won't work. It pretty much sucks. And yes, the Opera mini browser works sometimes when safari doesn't.

Blocked ports? I dunno.

4. Ponchobot thread starter macrumors member

I know for a fact that everything on my phone works properly because i can just disconnect from the WIFI and it will go to data and i can load what ever i want. And i checked the computers the WEP key is the same on the computers ( and they can load what they want, besides sites that are blocked because of firewall and such) But i don't know if it just disallows all mobile devices. would there be a way to like 'spoof' my iPhone to look like a laptop when connecting?

5. Insomnihax macrumors newbie

That I wouldn't know how to do to be honest. The only reason I don't know is because I haven't faced this issue myself. All the things I do know is because I have run into a certain issue and have googled it :)

6. Ponchobot thread starter macrumors member

I have tried google. And i do believe i have found the one thing that google cannot answer. Unless I just fail miserably at using google..

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Some places have you go to a special log in page. Either you have to enter username/password or agree to conditions.
    Have you thought about simply asking someone at your school who would know?

8. Ponchobot thread starter macrumors member

The school doesn't like me being on their network with my phone. :cool: So i think asking would bring about problems that i don't need. And it doesn't have any password or terms because it will connect through Opera Mini, and i know it wouldn't be able to do this unless i had preciously used the code/terms.