iPhone Wireless Printing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarceePauff, Oct 30, 2008.

1. MarceePauff macrumors member

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen any recent postings. Has there been any news regarding firmware updates or apps in development that would allow us to print wirelessly (via wifi or bluetooth)?

Thanks!

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I don't understand the need to be able to print from your phone, thus I don't see the reason why Apple would be inclined to develop a iPhone print driver. If you're close to a printer, chances are you are close to a computer.

3. pintnight macrumors 6502

Print out the IM/SMS conversation would be one good reason. Also, what if there is a third party application on the phone that you displayed on the iPhone that you want to print out.

Eventually there will have to be some way that a user can print or save to a file to upload to a computer to print out.

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

What would be the point of printing a document you cannot edit?

Before worrying about printing, how about more basic functions, like ***, */*, and ****.

I'm writing them as *'s as even I am tired of whining about them... they'll get here if/when they get here.:D

5. MarceePauff thread starter macrumors member

Typically, I think I'd want to print an email or email attachment - a contract I need to sign or a document I need to fax. It might also be helpful to be able to print things from the web. Plus notes and to-do lists...especially if I want to be able to hand any of these things off to someone else.

I might be in my office or someone else's office or home and not have access to their computer (or want to use their computer). It would also be nice to be able to remote print to my office printer from home or vice versa if there was a way to network based on IP.

And some people have expressed interest in printing pictures directly from their phone, which would be convenient as well.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I understand the convenience of having such option. However, I don't know of a "universal" print driver. So this driver would have to be released by printer manufacturer, and Apple doesn't have the incentive to drive for such existence.

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

This is an article that I posted to my Last.fm iPhone group a while back.

I realize it's not quite what you're asking for, but it's a step in that direction.

8. reliantj macrumors 6502

awesome so that we can print portably to our hip and happening
    iPrinters that can be holstered to your belt.

jk, but yeah other phones have wireless printing.
    it's just one of the many things the iPhone doesn't have.

9. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I'd love to have a printing app or feature. I could have used it just the other night when I had an email I needed to print, but my printer at my store was out of ink and instead of just being able to send the email to my phone to print from home, I had to unhook all the security cables from my laptop, crawl under the desk to unplug it, pack it all up and drag it home only so I could print an email. I dont have a desktop at home and usually just use my phone when I want to look up something online, so yes, this feature would be useful.