iphone with a slide out keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keenan wolf, Jun 28, 2009.

1. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

with 3.0 there can be dock accesories, why havent we seen an add-on keyboard yet? i dont care if its slide or flip, i just want it now!

2. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I'm used to the one that's there now. I think an add-on on would be awkward.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Any specific reasons why? Isn't the virtual keyboard with landscape and portrait, multiple languages built in, auto-correct and a learning dictionary a little more intuitive?

By no means am I bashing your desire for it, I'm just wondering what the appeal would be.

4. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Physical keyboard? Over Steve Jobs' dead body! (no pun intended)

Seriously, unless Jobs has a change of heart, there will be no keyboard on iPhone.

5. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

i like to be able to txt without having to look down. you can not do that with the iphone, trust me i have had plenty of practice( ive had one on an off since it came out in 07) i want a keyboard that i can feel. i wont use it all the time just in class or when im driving or anytime at school cuz its hard to look down and walk through the halls.

6. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

i meant more like another company that makes it. why wouldnt he allow it, its an option and its not even apples product.

7. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I guess not enough people want it so there is no market for such a device.

8. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

I can do it it's not that hard.

9. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I would hate to see a slide out keyboard on the iphone. To me slide out keyboards are cumbersome and look rather cheap looking. That is one of the main reasons I did not consider buying a Palm Pre. So I really hope that Apple keeps the keyboard just the way it is.

10. randomusername macrumors 6502

I don't think the new dock accessory feature in 3.0 will allow for a 3rd party physical keyboard. I'm almost certain the accessories will only be allowed in the 3rd party app(s) they're written for and will not be allowed to be integrated into the stock apps, like Messages, Safari, and Notes, just like how 3rd party apps can't be integrated into stock apps. It's most likely possible for a physical keyboard accessory to work in a 3rd party app, like an IM app, but it wouldn't work in Messages.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

How do you type on a hardware keyboard without looking?

Don't you just press your fingers where the keys are?

Same principle works with the iphone keyboard. Press your fingers where the key is.

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yep, I can type without looking.

No keyboard needed here.

13. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Stop texting while driving you reckless jackass.

14. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

i only text at stop lights, and i need to be able to look up to make sure its still red.

dont call me a jack ass. you dont know me, i don't know you.

i bet i can drive better while txting than you can just normal.

15. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

what about how some apps can open up mail.... its the same thing just in messages....

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you are texting while driving, do what I do, text with one hand, and just learn how to be accurate and trust the autocorrection without looking. I can text very quick with one hand, just my thumb.

And as for the walking through halls bit, maybe hold the phone higher? I mean, you are looking down to the point where you can't see where you are going...you probably are holding it too low for your own good. Hold it about the same height as your chest. Simple really.

I bet a lot of us here can type without looking on the virtual keyboard.

17. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

jesus wept.

18. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Tell you what.. keep the Keyboard add on and just give me HAPTIC FEEDBACK! thats all I want and my issue with the iPhone is solved!

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Eh? More like the iPhone has no dock or Bluetooth support for external keyboards.

Otherwise there would be all sorts of big, small, case-based, folding and even rollup iPhone keyboards for sale.

For that matter, there would be external gamepads, piano keyboards, you name it.

As for Jobs, he said that he doesn't like keyboards integrated into the front, where they take up screen space. He's said nothing against sliding or external ones.

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Was the other poll/thread not good enough for ya?

21. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

actually this one was first. then i got the idea for the poll.

there is game pads actually.... and apple supports them. heres the link
    http://www.22moo.com.au/gamebonepro.html

anyways...

what if it looked like this?[​IMG]

22. raygungirl macrumors member

raygungirl

I'd like a keyboard that would slide out from the side when you need it and otherwise would be "hiding" behind the phone, completely invisible.

And the keyboard could be a miniature version of the new Apple keyboards. It could even be aluminum. Black or white keys, maybe, depending on what color iPhone you have.

Could anyone do a mock-up? I'm good with Photoshop but not with mock-ups. :)

23. keenan wolf thread starter macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

it could be just like the one above but it would just attach to the backside of the phone and it would then slide out. i cant do mockups either.

24. raygungirl macrumors member

raygungirl

Yeah, you got it, that's what I had in mind. For my needs, the iPhone would be totally flawless if it had a real keyboard. I like the software keyboard just fine, but I don't think I could ever type on it without looking at my fingers, which makes me typo sometimes. If I had a keyboard with real keys I could look at the screen and know right away if I made a typo, so I wouldn't have to go back to try and fix it.

Really, it's a very minor quibble. It's just on my wishlist for a future iPhone. :)