Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
UK
Would you mind if your iPhone had a small fan inside, which turned on under heavy load?

Would be an interesting way to increase CPU performance in a handheld device, at the expensive of weight and thickness.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
For anyone that gets placed in pockets and such I don’t personally think it would be appropriate. It would also likely be a step back in terms of water resistance.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
For doing what? Particle simulation or augmented reality fart app?

With iPad Pro and MacBook having such a good performance this will never happen

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
UK
For doing what? Particle simulation or augmented reality fart app?

With iPad Pro and MacBook having such a good performance this will never happen

For loading up the Twitter app, quick burst of fan as the clock speed ups to 5GHz to load it faster
[doublepost=1503854051][/doublepost]
How about a liquid cooling system that also blows cold AC air in your face? :D

Great idea for warmer climates. Could load up a benchmark whenever you need a burst of cold air

Reactions: Applejuiced

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
With Apple going the other direction with some of their laptops (no fans). I doubt this is something that is needed.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Yeah, put a fan inside. And just half the battery size, I don't see a problem. Whenever I open an app, I'm always left wondering what can be done to open it 0.002 seconds quicker.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Would I mind? I'd lose all respect for Apple's engineers (or whatever company's engineers brought this out). The last thing a device of this sort needs is a mechanical spinning component that consumes significant amounts of battery power, has bearings that can noisily fail, requires air ducting space to function effectively... In short, it's a Rube Goldberg kludge.

Effectively, the entire case of a mobile device functions as a heat sink. The best thing the end user can do to encourage cool running is to not use an accessory protective case, since those cases are usually poor thermal conductors. An outer case design that minimizes the need for an accessory case would not only aid cooling, but would likely improve wireless charging performance.

If the internals require additional cooling, I think a better solution would be to increase thermal conductivity between internal components and the case - heat pipes, for example. For such a passively-cooled system, it'd also be beneficial to add some bumps that elevate the back case above the desktop. If additional drop protection is desired, how about a return to the "bumper" case, like the ones given out by Apple for the "You're holding it wrong" iPhone 4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.