Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jack 0811

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Hey

My mates contract on his iphone is gonna run out in Apirl and he was gonna sell to that website that recycles them (One with wonga man :D) so I said I might buy for same price.

Anyway, if I buy it, is there any possible way of me using my current sim (contract is unlimited texts and internet and 100 mins) and use it in the iphone? I didn't think I could but heard someone say o2 or someone can "unlock" the phone so it'd work ?

Any help would be nice :)

thanks in advance :)

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Hey

My mates contract on his iphone is gonna run out in Apirl and he was gonna sell to that website that recycles them (One with wonga man :D) so I said I might buy for same price.

Anyway, if I buy it, is there any possible way of me using my current sim (contract is unlimited texts and internet and 100 mins) and use it in the iphone? I didn't think I could but heard someone say o2 or someone can "unlock" the phone so it'd work ?

Any help would be nice :)

thanks in advance :)

O2 can have Apple unlock the phone. I'm pretty sure O2 is one of the only companies that WILL unlock the phones when contracts are up. So I think you're in luck.

Maybe someone from the UK can confirm?

jack 0811

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
O2 can have Apple unlock the phone. I'm pretty sure O2 is one of the only companies that WILL unlock the phones when contracts are up. So I think you're in luck.

Maybe someone from the UK can confirm?

That sounds far better than everything else I've heard :O :D I thought I was going to have to use borderline illegal/legal software if I needed it done :) If thats right will be a lot easier :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
O2 and Orange both offer authorised unlocking. This unlock will persist across OS updates and is therefore the best way to do it :)

jack 0811

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Seeing him this saturday :) He's got 1-2 months left still so you know :p

just to check, after the unlock I can use my current sim in it ? And it'll work fine ?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
After the unlock, you'll be able to use any SIM (as long as your operator supports the correct frequencies, which these days is pretty much all of them for GSM and most of them for WCDMA). If it's not an "Apple sanctioned" operator then you'll be able to enter the required settings manually.

jack 0811

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
SO basically I can whack my sim in, play with the settings, and I'll have everything I'd have if I bought from o2 or someone? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.