iPhone with AT&T - Ok to sell Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, Sep 19, 2015.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I ordered a full-price 6S Plus on launch night because AT&T has removed subsidy pricing from Apple.com.

I planned to move to T-Mobile over the issue. However, now I may stay with AT&T.

I would like to keep the Apple order since it will arrive on launch day (or it should). Obviously, a Plus with AT&T is a few weeks out.

If I go ahead and order a 6S or 6S Plus with subsidy pricing at ATT website, is it ok to sell that phone? I figure I would need to remove the sim, so it will be open box, but with the $405 discount on the phone, I should still make *some* money to put towards my Apple order, yes?

Is there any issue selling a phone that had been sold to me by ATT under contract? Obviously it would be locked to AT&T, do some people still want to buy them when they are locked to AT&T?

Thanks.

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

The phone is yours, you can sell it, smash it do whatever you want with it. You're still obligated to fulfill your contract though.

The contract phone will be locked, so your pool of buyers is limited to AT&T customers, but there are lots of those. Another option if would be to sell the full priced one and keep the one under contract. That one will be unlocked and you'll have more potential buyers. Even if you've used it for a few weeks, you should still be able to recoup most of what you paid for it.

3. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks for confirming I can sell an upgrade device.

Yep, selling the used one would be an option. I just thought one with the plastic sticker/protection still on the phone (sim card door isn't normally covered by the plastic) and that was never used, etc. would be more attractive to people, even if locked to ATT.

Thanks for the idea, and I will see what I decide.