iPhone with capacitive home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shazzam, Jan 10, 2011.

1. shazzam macrumors regular

If there's one thing I don't mind about Android devices, it would be their capacitive menu buttons. But do u think Apple will ever implement one? Would u think it was good, bad or trashy to have a capacitive home button?

2. Shifty88 macrumors newbie

Capacitive buttons are horrible. Have them on my laptop and have played with them alot on my friends' android phones. They are so irritating and unnatural. Nothing beats a solid, physical button.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

um, no, I hate the capacitive buttons, much prefer a real button. If they change I would prefer making a gesture area like on the palm pre, it works very well.

4. shazzam thread starter macrumors regular

I've never used a Palm Pre 2 but it looks cool how their 'home' is integrated. Imagine that on iPad where on every orientation the home button would always be down the bottom.

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

No, capacitive buttons suck on a phone. As for the iPhone, Steve Jobs should really move the home button to the perimeter of the phone instead of in the front since thumbs and fingers naturally rest along the outer edge. This would make it much easier to reach the home button without having to move your hand so much.

6. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I love capacitive buttons. Just not on my phone.

The new XB360 Slim, for example, has them for the power/eject buttons and I love it. Looks slick. No buttons to push. Very quick to use. Love it!

As for on my phones they're okay, but for an iPhone I wouldn't care for it. I'd press it accidentally, etc, because of its central location for it's main button. I would prefer to have a physical button on that particular design.

Maybe a capacitive screen on/off on the side of the phone, but that may be too odd looking w/o all buttons being flush.

** NOTE: Right now I have a Motorola Droid so it's got the 4 main buttons in which I'm referencing on "my phone" as of right now.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

you're kidding...right? I've never had to move my hand to hit the home button, maybe my thumb like...an inch? Seriously, if that's too much effort for you a trip to the Dr may be in order.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The irony of this statement vis a vis the iPhone his just hilarious.

9. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I think the iphone works fine the way it is there is no need for it.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

My Droid X has physical buttons, my wife's original Droid have capacitive. I hate using her phone because of it.