Iphone with Composite Video Cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Excellerator, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I have an Iphone 3G and a composite video output cable that hooks to the bottom. I can get it to work, but after about 2 minutes it usually shuts off. Then when I unplug the cable and plug it back it, it doesn't go to the TV. Any ideas? I would like to watch downloaded movies on my TV and I wish this would work properly.

2. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone else using a composite cable???? Just courious.

3. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

i have the same problem. I'm trying to use the cables that came with my 4th (?) gen iPhone to watch photos, and absolutely no success. I've even had a friend measure all the plugs to see if there's actually electric signals going through it.

4. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its starting to look like "yet another" software glitch in the Iphone. I was thinking it was my cable at first. I am glad to hear I am not the only one.

5. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

So wait, does the Apple Composite AV Cable work, or not? The Apple store listing for the product lists the iPhone but not the 3G...

7. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I have the composite cable used it on the 2g, have yet to try it on the 3g. I hope it works, it was 50 bux and took two weeks to ship from Hong Kong.

Did you try the TV out setting? I don't know, it may kick it it by toggleing the widescreen option.

8. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I understand the Apple cable will work, its the aftermarket cables that won't unless they have the chip that the Apple ones have. Some of the newer aftermarket ones do now.

9. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

10. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

I'm going to buy one of these (the Apple kit) this weekend and try it with my 3G (unless the Genius tells me it won't work), and will post my findings.

11. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

Confirmed - the Apple Composite AV Cable, which is listed on the Apple site as working both with several iPod models and the iPhone but not the iPhone 3G, works fine (or appears to work fine) with the 3G. Both photo display and video watching work great, and video watching both with rented and purchased video.

12. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I mentioned previously, the cable from Deal Exteme works fine with my iPhone 3G 16GB w/ 2.0.2 software plus its a quarter of the price of Apples cable. Here is the link again for anyone interested:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14395

13. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

UPDATE: iPhone firmware 2.1 seems to kill compatibility with the above unit. iPhone software 2.0.2 worked fine. :(

14. jchampl macrumors member

2.1 does not kill compatibility with an official Apple Composite cable.

15. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like I will be ordering the Apple cable then.

16. reliantj macrumors 6502

great find and thanks for sharing!

17. edrex macrumors member

I ordered this about a week ago and just got it today. Video plays for a minute or two and then fails. If anyone knows a way to make it work please let us know. I don't want to have to spend $50 on a cable that should be no more then $10.:(

18. fireboyz macrumors newbie

Its ridiculous that apple is making us pay 50 dollars for their av cable. Has anyone tried a third party cable that has worked with the latest firmware?

19. jchampl macrumors member

20. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

The Apple Store in New Zealand lists the caple as bieng 3G compatiable.

(http://store.apple.com/nz/product/MB129X/A?mco=MTYwMjcwMQ)

21. justkirk macrumors newbie

2.1 broke it

I have the official apple composite AV cable and it worked great with my iphone 3g up until 2.1. Now audio works but video out doesn't work at all and it says it's not compatible when I plug it in. Anyone else experience this?

22. iphonics macrumors member

2.1 breaks everything!!!
    my in dash DVD player with ipod connect worked fine with all previous firmware and now with 2.1 doesnt work at all!! !! dammn apple!!

23. justkirk macrumors newbie

what the heck, today the apple composite cable worked fine.

24. Amacfanboy macrumors newbie

Composite Cable Compatible With iPhone 3GS

Yea, its true I got this Composite Cable For iPhone 3GS for my 3GS and its been working for 4 months now. A lot of people don't realize there is 2 different versions of this cable. You got to make sure you buy the right one thats compatible with your phone / ipod.