Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hey can you buy an iphone in retail store just with credit card info. without the card itself? And do you need to sign?

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Hey can you buy an iphone in retail store just with credit card info. without the card itself? And do you need to sign?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you just want to give the sales person the numbers? That screams theft, fraud etc.

So no, you can't do that. And yes you need to sign.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I would say "no." I worked in Retail Management for awhile and that would top the list of "obvious scam." While I am not saying that you are trying to do that, I sure as heck wouldn't want somebody to be able to buy an iPhone with only that information from MY Credit card.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
**** really?

----------

Do yu kno if one of my family culd transfer money into my debit card at this time 2:00 est or will the banks need to be open

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
No. Your dad is going to need to give you the actual card and authorize you on the acct. :p

Tell them to cough up the atm card and make a bank run, then head to the store.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Can one of my family transfer momey to my debit card at this time or will banks need tobe open

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Can one of my family transfer momey to my debit card at this time or will banks need tobe open

Depends on your bank and what kind of accounts they are. If they wrote you a check, you may be able to deposit it at the atm and have the funds instantly post. At least, I could at my bank.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Might want to go back to school and work on your spelling, might help you get a job for your own money. ;) In all seriousness, it's completely dependent on the bank. I know most banks, when money is transferred within the bank, is instant. I can send money to family members with Bank of America instantly. Going between banks is a money transfer, which likely will take time and a fee.

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
You are also not legally allowed to sign a contract extension if you're under 18. I ran into this problem after waiting 9 hours for the 4 a couple years back.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Im buying it off contract btw

----------

If my family member transfers thru atm will da transfer be instant?

They don't have off contract phones for sale yet, or at least thats the last I read.

If you transfer within the same bank it's usually instant, another person has already said this.

Is it really that hard to type "the"? Youth of today amaze me, usually not in a good way.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
They don't have off contract phones for sale yet, or at least thats the last I read.

If you transfer within the same bank it's usually instant, another person has already said this.

Is it really that hard to type "the"? Youth of today amaze me, usually not in a good way.

Sorry and thanks. How long do wire transfers take? A few hours?

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Those of you who say yu need a physical card, you still cant buy with the credit card number as well as CVV. number and expiration date and name and all that info (not just CC number)?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Those of you who say yu need a physical card, you still cant buy with the credit card number as well as CVV. number and expiration date and name and all that info (not just CC number)?
While it is up to the store to decide, most will not accept anything less then the physical card and you as an authorize user on the account.

The information you have would be fine for a phone order or a web order just not in most stores.

Most banks allow account transfers between linked accounts to be instant. In my case Chase and Bank of America both can make the transfer in seconds.

Dave

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
No US banks are open in the middle of the night.
That might be true but depending on your bank you can transfer money and what not. I have USAA and I could take a picture of a check right now and it would instantly credit my account with the amount of money. Or do a ACH transfer from a different bank account, outside of USAA even, and it will automatically credit my account with the money (up to like 1000 or something) even before the transfer goes through.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Also an iphone 5 that you preordered online can you return it in store?
It depends on where you pre-order online.

Apple and AT&T official policy require that you return it to the point of purchase. So if you purchased from Apple.com you have to return it to them. If you purchase from att.com then you have to return it to them.

Here is the official Apple response: Note: An iPhone purchased on the Apple Online Store is ineligible for return to an Apple Retail Store.

source: http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.