Iphone with data only plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Jan 4, 2011.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to buy a subsidized iphone 4 and get a data only plan from at+t? tmobile has data only plans for cell fones. I figure I'd use VOIP.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The closest you can get is combining pay as you go with a data plan. However, you'd have to buy the phone at the full price, since you're not getting a contract.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they dont have that option available on a subsidized i4. You have to have voice.
    Or pay full price for one and maybe use an ipad sim for data only.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get an iPad, its data only, other then that you cannot do it.

5. dylanursula macrumors 6502

OP - What about an IPOD Touch then - cant you use that with VOIP? Not 100% sure but wanted to give a different route.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

You can do it with an iPod but that is wifi only, plus there is no mic on it and you always have to use a headset.

I'm using an iPad sim on the cheap 200mb plan, not enough for VoIP but I can do messages and email on the run.

7. voidcomp macrumors newbie

There *is* a mic on the iPod Touch 4G and wifi is everywhere. It's making less and less sense to have a contract for a feature (voice) that's hardly used. If voice is essential everywhere use the Touch in tandem with some dumb phone.

8. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

could get an iPod touch, and then one of those 3g hotspot things, would still probably be cheaper