iPhone with Galaxy Gear watch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tom2847, Jan 1, 2014.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

I've been reading online about this and I just wanted to confirm if it's possible?

Anyone running GEAR with iPhone 5?

The Galaxy Gear is the smart watch incase people didn't know..

2. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

3. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

I've read though that some how you can get it to sync with iPhone.

4. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

I've done multiple google/youtube searches, and seems like it won't work together. I can see why samsung wouldn't want their devices working with apple devices, but overall I think it is stupid to leave it an android exclusive.

5. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

No, not only does it not work with iphone, it's only compatible with the Galaxy line from the S3 up

6. itsjustmike, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

itsjustmike macrumors newbie

itsjustmike

Not so fast buddy looks like someone was able to get phone calls to work between the two devices but SMS is not working as of yet

http://youtu.be/aVQ3X2LcJlk *Not my video*

Edit* also found this thread here where people are actively working to get the two devices comparable as it seems to be a software issue with the gear since pebble and other smart watches work

7. GP1138 macrumors newbie

I have one of these watches, I received it as a Christmas gift.

There is very little that the watch can do standalone. Indeed, I had to hack my Galaxy Note 8 to "activate" the watch to enable USB debugging. After that, I installed null_ firmware, which runs a mini version of Android on the watch. It functions just as the Gear normally would, but there is a subsystem where you can access the Android home screen and run/install APK's and other stuff. I have it paired with my iPhone 5 and can tether through that, and answer phone calls. Caller ID does not show up, nor do any notifications, but if you wish, you can run Facebook and other apps. Battery life is reduced some.

All in all, if it wasn't a gift, I couldn't see myself paying $300 for the watch just for the crippled functionality.. but I would pay $150. It's a nice enough piece of tech that it's fun to screw around with and push the limits. I had Torque running on it, paired with my OBDII bluetooth adapter, and I had my car's sensor readouts on my wrist, in real-time. Pretty cool stuff. It's a nice little gadget.

Plus, Samsung has said that they intend on making the Gear work with iPhone at some point. It's really not that strange, you can get XBox apps on iPhone, and you run iTunes on your PC. If there's a demand (which, at the current price, I can't see too much, especially if Apple is working on the iWatch... which I will dump the Samsung for in a second) I can't imagine Samsung would want to box their product into a specific market.

Edit: here is where I researched and gleaned most of my hacking info - http://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/samsung-galaxy-gear

8. DrNicket macrumors newbie

Bell Canada drops price of Galaxy Gear Smartwatch to $99 (Clearance)

'Nuff Said!

Price beats people!

9. DrNicket macrumors newbie

Galaxy Gear - Rooted, TWRP'd, NULL_'d and linked to my iPhone 5S

Yep.

I bought a Galaxy Gear Yesterday. I then rooted it, TWRP'd it, NULL_'d it and linked it to my iPhone 5S.

Works like a charm! Granted it isn't perfect, but it makes and takes calls and such.

Still playing around with it to see what all it can do.

Be Well,

DrNicket
    ~ Take 2 downloads and PM me in the mornin'