jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
So my iPhone just restarted by itself and now it says it needs to be activated again. Unfortunately, it won't let me reactivate my phone because it can't connect to Apple's servers. A quick check on twitter says that this isn't just me and its been happening to other people as well.

As this happened to any of you and have you been able to figure out any sort of solution?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So my iPhone just restarted by itself and now it says it needs to be activated again. Unfortunately, it won't let me reactivate my phone because it can't connect to Apple's servers. A quick check on twitter says that this isn't just me and its been happening to other people as well.

As this happened to any of you and have you been able to figure out any sort of solution?

Were you using a beta version of iOS 7? Or did you only update to iOS 7 after it was released to the public?

It sounds like you were on beta 5 or 6, which expires on October 6th.

Comment

dtpearson

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Me too, my iPhone5 has been down for about an hour.

Phone just restarted itself and now won’t activate.

Bugger, i was going to pick up a 5s yesterday, but i put it off until after the weekend.

My wifes iPhone5 is OK, no problems at all.

----------

Were you using a beta version of iOS 7? Or did you only update to iOS 7 after it was released to the public?

Yep, my phone was on beta. Would be nice if the update would have appeared, i will have to restore it.

Comment

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013

Bugger, i was going to pick up a 5s yesterday, but i put it off until after the weekend.

If you're on beta it would be showing this problem since the beta expired.

Comment

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010

I was, that could have happened. Anyway I could fix that?

Comment

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013

----------

Yep, my phone was on beta. Would be nice if the update would have appeared, i will have to restore it.

Same here, i figured the phone would have updated to retail automatically. I guess not.

Comment

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Same here, i figured the phone would have updated to retail automatically. I guess not.

Google DFU mode. Restore using that. Backup your phone before doing so since a restore will delete all your data.

Comment

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was, that could have happened. Anyway I could fix that?

This is why they are betas released to developers - most people don't know what they're doing. Not trying to be harsh, but there's reasons you had to download it from random sites on the internet..

Phones don't update software automatically. You had to update through the betas manually through OTA updates - to get to the GM/public release, you needed to download the file and then install through iTunes on your computer.

Plug it into your computers and restore through iTunes, should fix it for you guys.

Comment

dtpearson

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
From the Dev forums;

Download the 7.0.2 IPSW for your device from the Dev center.
Connect your device in iTunes.
Do an Option-Update.
Select your downloaded IPSW.
Your device will update to 7.0.2.

You should still have everything on there as normal... Enjoy!

Comment

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Comment

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
I do have a dev account for a couple of silly reasons but am not as knowledgeable as most of you guys concerning many technical things. I'll try this out momentarily. Thanks.

Comment

vdubben

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
phone will not get out of recovery mode to updatd..tried all the downloads that help it sn0w...

Comment

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
I do have a dev account for a couple of silly reasons but am not as knowledgeable as most of you guys concerning many technical things. I'll try this out momentarily. Thanks.

If you have a developer account just download the latest version from the developer website. Extract the file so you have the ipsw file available. Click "update" while holding down option. Select the ipsw file. No need to backup in this case (although you might want to do it just to be safe).

Comment

Spencie

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
The Mothership
From the Dev forums;

Download the 7.0.2 IPSW for your device from the Dev center.
Connect your device in iTunes.
Do an Option-Update.
Select your downloaded IPSW.
Your device will update to 7.0.2.

You should still have everything on there as normal... Enjoy!

Hm.. When I option update I get a warning saying that I have to disable Find My iPhone and iCloud. I guess I'll just DFU restore it.

Comment

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Hm.. When I option update I get a warning saying that I have to disable Find My iPhone and iCloud. I guess I'll just DFU restore it.

I just did it without having to do the dfu. I had the ipsw file from my dev account.

Comment

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
This is why they are betas released to developers - most people don't know what they're doing. Not trying to be harsh, but there's reasons you had to download it from random sites on the internet..

Phones don't update software automatically. You had to update through the betas manually through OTA updates - to get to the GM/public release, you needed to download the file and then install through iTunes on your computer.

Plug it into your computers and restore through iTunes, should fix it for you guys.

I am a developer, i just figured apple would have made the retail update automatic. This is my first beta experience, i wasn't a developer during the iOS 6 beta.

I had already fixed the phone, i was just saying that i also found myself in the same situation.

Comment

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Able to get it working again. Thanks for all the help guys. This was my first time with dev account and an iOS beta so I also expected it to switch over automatically. Thanks.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.