iPhone with keyboard coming ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Devil's Refugee, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

interesting, although steve did say he hated physical keyboard "because the buttons can't change"
    and i doubt the physical keyboard would have auto-correct, so i guess it would be slower (i was (until i sold it) faster on my iphone than on my mbp!)

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, physical keyboards get to be tiresome for me as well. I'm just glad they got rid of the physical "return carriage" feature on those older typewriters, (gawd, I can't even remember the names! Corona/Royal or something like that). I'm pretty sure the majority of the membership here has no idea what I'm talking about...:eek::D

4. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

SJ *hates* buttons. I don't see this ever coming from Apple.

I do have a spiffy BT keyboard (for my WinMo phone) and would love Apple to open up the BT stack and allow drivers to be installed.

But I don't think that will happen either :(

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ugh. Touchscreen FTW. :cool:

Never will I go back to a phone with, to quote SJ 'plastic buttons, yuck', after July 11th 2008.

R-Fly

6. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Jobs may hate buttons at the moment, but that doesn't discount the fact that the man could wake up tomorrow and adore them for a future corporate iPhone. Let's face it, Jobs is prone to having a complete 180 on his beliefs.

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Couple of points…

If you look at Guy’s previous work, he’s not always right – in fact, he’s not a particularly great journalist.

The claim that Apple has prototype(s) with keyboards isn’t exactly Earth-shattering – I’m sure that this was something they looked at. Maybe it’s not looking into this anymore, maybe it is – time will tell!

Before Apple introduced its first mouse, it made a one-button, two-button and three-button version before deciding which one to produce. It went with the one-button, because as people were unfamiliar with the concepts of GUI or mouse, this was the one that people got to grips with. Although there were versions with more than one button, it took the company a rather long time to sell them….

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Jobs never said he hated keyboards. He said it was too bad they covered the front of a device. (Of course, sliding keyboards don't do that.)

And yes, hardware keyboards can have autocorrect. WM keyboards have predictive text, for example.

Jobs says whatever it takes to justify his current sales goal. The fanboys make up their own fantasy quotes from there. It's all very Monty Python-ish Life of Brian.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Steve Jobs may not be down with physical keyboards, but if he decides Apple can make a lot more money by adding one, he'll do it. I've heard he doesn't really like video games either, yet the OS2.0/SDK keynote speeches really showed off what it could do regarding games.

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Let's not forget that he rubbished solid-state MP3 players when Apple was developing the shuffle.

Other than making the statement Guy made in this article about a working prototype, this article adds nothing to the previous articles writen recently about this.