iPhone with MS Exchange issue (Delete email on both at same time?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by essential, Feb 25, 2009.

1. essential macrumors regular

this post is for my boss, i have an iphone as well, but i don’t use MS Exchange at all.

basically, she switched from a blackberry to an iphone. she says emails aren't instant like they were with the blackberry, which she understood before switching, but her mail problem is with deleting email.

she said with her blackberry, when she deleted an email from her phone, it would also delete the email from her desktop/Outlook at work. with the iphone, all the emails she deletes from the phone are still in Outlook at work when she gets there, so she has to read and delete everything twice.

is there anyway do have them synced so when you delete from the phone or the desktop/Outlook, it automatically deletes from the other?

i thought it was supposed to work like this anyway, but apparently it doesn’t.

she said if there isn't a fix for this problem she might actually switch back to blackberry, so i'm hoping there is something.

thanks.

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

As far as I am aware the iPhone sets where deleted messages go and unless they are going to the Deleted box or the Bin then they wont be removed properly.

3. Lamplighter77 macrumors member

Mine works the way she wants so I know it is possible. I dont think I changed any setting about how my phone handled deleted items anywhere so I am not sure that is the answer.

If I delete or read one on my PC sometimes it will still show as a new email until I actually open the mail app on my phone. Then within a couple seconds it disappears or changes to a read message without having to open or delete it.

I just deleted a couple from the phone to make sure it worked quickly the other way and within about 3 seconds of touching the trashcan on my phone they disappeared from my inbox on my PC.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Make sure the Exchange server supports IMAP, and setup the iPhone's mail program to use IMAP to connect to the server. This should cause it to do what she wants.