iPhone with multiple computers (PC and Mac))

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NStocks, Jul 18, 2011.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hi,

I'm having problems (well my cousin is) with a iPhone 3GS and iTunes.

Basically, I used my Mac (using a separate account) to sync a bunch of music from my library to my cousins brand new 3GS.

My cousin now wants to sync his own music from his own computer. The computer that does not contain ANY of the media currently on the iPhone.

I've checked Google etc. and it just doesn't make sense what's going on:

When he connects the iPhone to his PC, he doesn't get the option "transfer purchases", but to only "cancel" OR " Erase and Sync". This is when we check the "manually manage...

Here's the article from Apple that I've been referring to, whist speaking to my cousin.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1202 - It says iPad/iPod but I'm assuming it's the same for iPhone?

Thank you.

PS, I don't like windows one bit, but from this experience, I can see why some people 'Hate' Apple... (not me though, I just want to learn why it's not working!)

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Right-click the iPhone from the lefthand pane and select Transfer Purchases.

Even still, unless he or you bought your content from iTunes, you won't get much back.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I see. But still, why didn't it come up with the "transfer Purchases" option?

Also, if he imported music to his iTunes via a CD, how would he get those songs on his iPhone, without deleting the ones synced from my Mac?

Why must it be so difficult to do such a task? Something to do with copyright? A intelligent company like apple, and yet you can't easily use to computer for one iPhone?

Thank you

4. wvphysics macrumors regular

A device can only be sync'd to one computer at a time. This is to prevent copyright infringement vie sharing music. It is not easy to transfer music from a device to the computer. If he really wants your music the easiest thing is to just put it on a disc from your computer and then put it on his computer. Otherwise you will need to get some software that will copy music from the phone to the computer, then sync it. Either way, he will have to let it wipe the device if he wants to sync it to another computer.

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's exactly what I suggested to him: That I copy the music from my Mac, to a Disc then he can start from scratch with his own computer.

As such, how have Apple made"iTunes Match 'legal'? Surely, this is just the same as why I'm trying to do (physically with 2 computers). Is this copyright infringement global across the industry, or just Apple? Could they 'stop' it if they wanted toi.e you can simply drag and drop with some devices)

6. wvphysics macrumors regular

Apple paid the studios about half a billion dollars to do so.

7. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a bunch of music from line wire on my pc. To get it on my iPhone(which syncs with Mac) I just put the music from the pc on jump drives, cd's, anything to transfer it from pc to Mac, and then import it into iTunes. I've never tried but I don't think it will let you do that with songs you have purchased from iTunes. But all the other music, that should fix u right up

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah I though so, I remember the macrumors story about that!

So how do standard MP3 players get away with it? You know, the £20 ones that you sometimes get free? They are used basically as a hard drive. Could Apple pay more to let iPhone users do this too? (without iTunes match, as it's wireless only isn't it?)

9. wvphysics macrumors regular

They stopped encoding music with DRM when you purchase from itunes a few years ago. Should be able to just move from one to the other.

10. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Something elese I was confused about. You cleared that up for me! Thanks :D

Am I right in saying DRM-Free is at additional cost through iTunes or is every single song now DRM-Free? Again, did Apple pay millions to do so?

11. wvphysics macrumors regular

Its all about the business model. Apple also provides avenues to purchase and download music along with a device. So it has to do with the ease of piracy. Ultimately, it has to do with what the studios will pursue and what they wont.
    Apple could pay more, but they would just pass that cost down to the consumer as higher prices. I personally prefer cheaper music and devices.

12. wvphysics macrumors regular

Probably. I think the DRM-free came about around the same time that prices went from $.99 for all to a tiered pricing that was more expensive for the new and popular music. Also as a side note, videos still have DRM.

13. dom9360 macrumors newbie

dom9360

Think of your iphone and computer as a marriage; syncing with multiple computers would be 'cheating.' :D I suggest copying all your music to a single computer and synching that way.

14. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

If I copy all the music to a CD and put it on his comouter, when he next syncs, and clicks the "erase and sync", will only his Music go back on?

If so, how would I retain photo's etc.? Would the restore from backup option work?

Thank you

15. wvphysics macrumors regular

I am not certain, but I dont think photos get earased. I believe its just the music and videos. When syncing to a new library all the music on the phone is erased and the library on the new computer is put on. As for Photos, you can manually copy photos from the phone as though it were a drive.

16. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

So would it be best that I use image capture to get all the photos' then copy these to a disc as well? I'm not sure what you mean by " manually copy photos from the phone as though it were a drive.". Copy them on the windows PC in iTunes to a folder?

17. wvphysics macrumors regular

By manually, I mean you can open up My Computer (on a PC) and the phone appears as a drive and you can access the photos that were taken with the phone. You are limited to only the photos that are in the camera roll album though.

18. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, very good! Thanks