iPhone with no data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Press22, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Well basically I currently own a 3G without a data plan, it was a gift from a friend who bought a 3GS and I never bothered to put the data plan on it. I will be buying the iPhone 4G and my question is, is there anyway to get the new iPhone but keep my current no data plan?

I have no need to have 3G everywhere I go. I'm content with having my wifi at home since I spend most of my time there.
    Don't flame me telling me I need to get the data plan please. :apple:

2. mwxiao macrumors regular

3. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

It's hardly flaming, but you need the data plan. They won't let you have or use the iPhone without one. It's as simple as that.

4. Press22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Press22

I understand that but it seems a bit silly to me having 3 iPhones (family) and needing a $30 data plan for each.

5. coasterswim macrumors 6502

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, but those are at&t conditions. If you don't like them, then I would suggest getting phones that don't require data plans.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You could get just the $15 plan.

8. Press22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Press22

What I currently have is two data plans. The Cheapest for a 3G and a 2G
    and for the third iPhone on the plan there isn't one instead there is a $30 Family unlimited text

so the important thing to me is unlimited text and everyone in the plan needs it

9. macmoth macrumors newbie

i agree, thats why its a luxury item not a necessity to have an iphone. Plus its one of the more expensive phone to own... have to pay to play:apple:

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

When you say cheapest are you still talking about the $30 unlimited plan?

Because tomorrow you will be able to get a $15 200MB per month plan on any iPhone line (Except maybe the 2g, I don't know about that one.)

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will not let u.
    It's mandatory.
    You can buy one used or off eBay and try using it again with no data. But at one point they might automaticly add the data to you account.

12. Press22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Press22

I just checked my account on ATT.com and it even states I'm using an iphone but it doesn't have the data plan on it.

By cheapest I meant the $20 data plan that was sold with the 2G and a $30 that was sold with the 3G

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your lucky for now. Some people get away with it for a while others for a few months.
    The new AT&T iPhone data plans will be $15 and $25 to pick from.

14. MRiOS macrumors regular

Most likely what will happen is when you go in to purchase the New iPhone, they will require you to sign up for one of the new data plans when you buy the new iphone. They will offer either the $15 (200MB/Mo) plan or the $25 (2GB/Mo) plan. if you are going to use the iPhone HD/4G to replace the iphone on your plan that currently has no data plan, then you will have to choose one of the two new data packages I believe it will be the same should you elect to choose to upgrade the original iPhone as well since the 2G unlimited plan does not account for 3G access. (and is therefore incompatible with newer iPhones) If you are planning to upgrade the iPhone with the $30 unlimited plan you can elect to keep the $30 unlimited and they won;t touch any of the plans, or you can choose one of the new plans to better fit your budget.
    On a side note, if you are only upgrading the line with no data package, then you will have to choose a new data package for it, but the 2 other plans can continue on untouched.

If someone reading this finds an error, forgive me, I'm just citing what I've gleaned from reading here over that last few years. (don't let the join date fool you, guest lurking is the cause of that) XD

15. Press22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Press22

Thank you for that, helped a lot! One question, say I get the plan for $15 a month, what happens if I max the limit? Will I be charged for going over or will I just have no access to data from that point on until next month?

16. MRiOS macrumors regular

If I recall correctly, AT&T should send you reminders when you're nearing the data limit, with those cues I believe that you are able to quickly upgrade to the 2GB plan within the billing month at no penalty via your account on the website and then the next month you can drop back down to the 200MB plan.

17. Press22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Press22

Sweet, so I'll be upgrading to a 4G and using that $15 data plan.