Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dollrhapsodie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
my iPhone is only slightly more than a week old. though i have the ring mode on, the phone would just only vibrate when i have an incoming text. for incoming calls and everything else, it works fine.

i've set the phone on ring mode, when the settings and picked a ringing tone for incoming texts but i just dont know why it wouldnt ring when i have a text message and its driving me nuts.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
The only two things I can think of is

(1) is your ringer switch on or off? Its the toggle on the left hand side of your iPhone. If you can see the red dot, its on vibrate mode.

(2) is your volume up enough to hear it? Below the ringer switch are the volume buttons. Top being louder.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Check to make sure you phone is set to sound when you receive a text. If it's not you won't get a sound for text messages and you will still have your phone ring

ChristianGalli

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
no ringer sound on iPhone

my iPhone is only slightly more than a week old. though i have the ring mode on, the phone would just only vibrate when i have an incoming text. for incoming calls and everything else, it works fine.

i've set the phone on ring mode, when the settings and picked a ringing tone for incoming texts but i just dont know why it wouldnt ring when i have a text message and its driving me nuts.

Look at this link. There is a little switch on the side of the iPhone you might have accidentically turned off. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1205

Hope this will help

Regards
Christian

oladyo

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the fix!

Thanks to gadgetdad!

Didn't know there was a ringer switch! Learned something new again. iphone is so cool.

Must of accidentally turned off when I pulled it out of my pocket.

Thanks again

LisaM3586

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
The only two things I can think of is

(1) is your ringer switch on or off? Its the toggle on the left hand side of your iPhone. If you can see the red dot, its on vibrate mode..

Thanks for the information. I couldn't figure out why I had no external sound - would have never realized there was even a ringer switch on the side. Never noticed it before and am not sure why it was turned off. I had been looking online for help and no one else mentioned this as a possible culprit.

So again - thank you for taking the time for the post. Helped me solve my problem quickly - of which I couldn't find the answer anywhere else - without putting a hole in the wall. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.