iPhone with normal phone's prepaid sim card on Rogers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmee, Feb 25, 2009.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

I am considering purchasing a second hand iPhone. I would want to use it on a prepaid plan with Rogers. The PAYGO is $10 or $20 a month, and then I can add unlimited browsing to that for $7.

My question is: after I add unlimited browsing, will I be able to use the iPhone like normal? If I go into something that connects through the internet, will the 7$ unlimited internet work with the iPhone?

I'm not sure whether or not this will work because, here is the page that says $7 for unlimited browsing http://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...ls3?content10=unlimited_ondevice_mobile#start

That's probably fine for the average GSM phone for WAP browsing. If I go under smartphone data plans it's so much more expensive. If it is possible to get the iPhone working on this $7 unlimited browsing, would loading speed be a problem?

2. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

NO! NO! That is the worse thing you can do, you need a data plan. It is designed for smartphones. I will watch you get a heart attack when you receive your bills.

Although the prepaid will work, you WILL NEED a data plan. For me, I have access to alot of Wi-Fi spots so I just block data to avoid data fees and use Wi-Fi and prepaid.

3. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Very risky. I still wouldn't go for it. All you can do is use Safari, nothing else.

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Does not work: Facebook app, Mail app, YouTube.

Slow, but Works: Safari, Gmail, Google Map, Weather, Weather Eye, Stocks, Flight Status, Shazam, iMafia, Facebook via Safari (anything that uses port 80).

5. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

How about some common sense, do you think if this worked everyone else would be that stupid to pay the iPhone data rates? If you can't afford an iPhone data plan then I hate to tell you, you can't afford the iPhone.

When I signed up for mine the first months bill came and it was $1500, because they screwed up the registration (they fixed it n harm no foul) but that will give you and idea what will happen is it doesn't work and you get caught.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Except its prepaid so the worst that could happen is you lose the balance on the account.

7. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

The data isn't prepaid, the only prepaid part is the voice. But hey if you guys think they are that stupid then go for it.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes, data is prepaid. At least in canada it is. It comes out of the balance. They never do a credit check and don't require anything signed. Why would data not be prepaid?

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hmm .... I don't know ... you better call up and ask first. There seems to be a lot of conditions, and they don't mention iPhones. I suspect you'll get reamed price wise. But it's worth calling and asking.

Or, I suppose, just trying and seeing what you get charged.

---
    EDIT - you sure this is available on pay as you go?

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

11. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

No, the $7 unlimited browsing is NOT officially supported for iphone. But it just turns out to work on iphone. It is slow (via Edge) and for only traffic via port 80. Don't bother calling Rogers, as you can opt in the $7 browsing option online.

I tried it on a 2G (1st gen) iPhone. I don't know whether it works on 3G. As other suggested, I would be very careful in testing it out so you won't get a surprising $3000 bill.

With Rogers Paygo, you can track you usage call/transaction history. If you see "goam.com" then you did good. If you see "internet.com", then no, it didn't work and you are paying 5c/kb of data.

Attached Files:

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Fortunately, if you are using Rogers Pay As You Go, then it's just that - pay as you go. If you attempt to make a data access that isn't covered by your data plan, then your prepaid credit will be deducted at the pay-per-use rate. If your prepaid credit ever reaches zero, then you simply won't be able to access the network anymore. Unless you keep a $3000 prepaid balance, you'll be unlikely to end up out thousands of dollars.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

So this unlimited data for $7 is just over EDGE?

14. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

It is just EDGE, not 3G.

Apparently, it works with monthly plan too, and hence the $3000 bill if you don't know what you are doing.

By the way, this is not just for Rogers (Canada), works on T-mobile in US too.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t-mobile/38681-how-t-zones-without-using-proxy-pac-file.html
    or just google T-zones and iphone. It was with T-mobile where all of this first started.

There is even something already set up in Cydia to simplify the hacking (I think it's called "T-zones proxy hack").

15. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Does that mean that me, an iPhone user using prepaid can't afford the iPhone 3G I bought? Not everything is about plans in the world. ATT does not rule the world, only Americans with iPhones.

I don't give a s*** about data plans because I live in a city-wide wi-fi hotspot.

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

What you're talking about is WAP data, not iPhone or any other smart phone data and you actually don't think they will figure it out?

OK if you think it such a great idea go do it why are asking on here? What the hell does ATT have to do with this discussion? Why would you waste $7 on that crappy data plan if there's so much wifi.

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes, i am talking about WAP data you've got it! And I never said they won't figure out. I just stated they have a prepaid unlimited web browsing option and the most you can lose is your balance......

He isn't the OP......So he isn't interested he said its risky, read the thread before posting like that.

18. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

If you don't live in Canada or have no knowledge of the Canadian carriers, please don't post useless information. Data can be prepaid on the iPhone here but they charge 3 cents/kilobyte.

19. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If you are using a prepaid plan on Rogers, and you attempt to perform any form of packet-switched TCP/IP data transfers, regardless of whether it's WAP data or smartphone data or any other pretty-sounding catchphrase, you are charged out of your prepaid balance at a pay-per-use rate of a few cents per kilobyte. If your prepaid balance doesn't have enough credit to cover the data transfer, then the data transfer won't occur.

You can purchase a WAP browsing plan for prepaid service, at a rate of $7 per month, that allows you unlimited WAP Internet browsing. It actually achieves this by routing supported data traffic through a special proxy server and only allowing traffic on port 80 (HTTP) to pass through. Any data that flows through that proxy server will not be charged; data that doesn't flow through the proxy server would still be charged the pay-per-use rate, deducted from your prepaid balance (or, if your prepaid balance is empty, the data will simply be refused).

20. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I assume the $7 is goam.com and the pay per use is internet.com?

What if someone were to change their internet.com setting to goam.com without subscribing for the $7 altogether?

Right now I think I have to change to goam.com, change the iPhone's IMEI, then get the sim card from a PAYGO phone from rogers. Then I'm set, right?

21. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I do live in Canada, hence why my first Rogers bill was $1500. Read the fine print of the 7 unlimited browsing.

22. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Maybe you should try reading too, I say he was the OP (hence why Theaser's post was quoted but hey don't like the facts slow your down), it was a response to him talking about AT&T. Seemed clear to me. So try reading before you post like that.