iPhone with out the data plan question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by deadman45, Apr 6, 2010.

1. deadman45 macrumors newbie

is this possible

can I get an iPhone (unlocked or jail brake it) pop in my currant SIM card from my existing AT&T plan that has no data and the phone work like a normal phone but rather then using the 3G data plan simply use the WIFI?

I simply see no point in signing up for the stupid data plan

The reason I want to do this is because I have WIFI at home, work and I live in a large city and there is open WIFI everywhere
    I don't see the point in spending 30 bucks on a data plan when I can simply tap into the WIFI that is available

If this is correct can someone that has done this please post and let me know
    Thanks in advance

2. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

it seems like you could...but honestly i'm not sure. You should call the apple store, they'd know.

3. GoWSox macrumors newbie

GoWSox

I asked this once, and the Mac Store just told me to get a ipod touch obviously, Not sure how you could do it hack wise

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can block carrier data on all iphones thru this site without beeing JB or unlocked.
    www.unlockit.co.nz
    Then it will just let you use data thru wifi.
    MMS and visual voicemail wont work obviously.
    I know many local people that have been using iphones on AT&T without a data plan and are happy with their phones like that.
    But also heard that recently AT&T might start slapping people with data plans that are using iphones on their network so its up to you.
    I still havent came across an actual person I know have that happen to them though, just online rumors.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's what the thread I linked to above was about. Not actual RL people, but not complete hearsay since the OP claims it happened to them not a friend of a friend.

B

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    And also it doesnt state if the person didnt have a data plan and was using data thru their iphone like per KB or if their had their carrier data blocked thru various different methods.
    I figured if AT&T notices you using data with an iphone and you dont have a data plan they might notify you or add it on so you dont rack up a huge bill on data overages.

7. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Latest version of SBSettings has a new toggle just for DATA. Another option is to simply call AT&T and tell them to put a block on ur data (I did the same with my carrier when I had the 3G). This option works out to be better

8. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

i used to not have the data plan and i just used sbssettings to block data. worked just fine for me. the battery lasts soo much longer too

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that SBsettings data toggle is great.
    Very nice and effective way to block carrier data.

10. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

There are several ways of handling this, it's easy...I had an iphone 2G for almost three years, it never saw the light of the day with EDGE.

You can go with the SBSettings route and just have the app running on your phone all the time.

Or..(what I did with Rogers) make a simple phone call to AT&T customer service, and just tell them to block your 3G signal until you give them further notice: becasue you don't want your phone accessing the 3G network and you being charged for unexpected data usage bills. At&T should not give you any trouble and just go ahead with the 3G block, even if you tell them you have an iPhone, but that information (can be altered) and does not need to be given to them if it's not "Really"..."Really" necessary.

this second method worked great for me for 2.5 years, I just relied on home, work and coffee shop Wifi... without any hassle. Good luck!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T might not be willing to put a block on your data if they see you're using an iphone. Instead they might try to sell you a data plan.
    Since the wireless provider always knows within seconds what phone you're using to acess their network.
    All you gotta do is stick your sim in an old flip phone or something cheap and then call them and have them put a block on your carrier data.
    Then stick the simcard back to your iphone and no more data acess :)

12. a1crazyman macrumors newbie

can you still txt no matter where you are (if you dont have wifi) ? thanks

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can text fine.
    But recently AT&T started cracking down on that so if they detect you're using an iphone with no data they might add it automaticly to your account.
    Up to you.

14. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

Yes, this is what I have been doing with T-mo prepaid for the past 2+ years. $0.10 per minute/text no contracts.

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your best and cheapest bet is to buy an iPhone 2G from CL/eBay and use it on AT&T or unlock it for T-Mobile. That way you don't have to deal with the carrier giving you a hard time about data, putting on a data block, trying to hide from the carrier, etc.

Plus, the 2G is a tank. :D