iPhone with Tmobile "web2go"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kinkster, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if you can use the iphone with Tmobile's--

"web2go Services for T-Mobile SmartPhones:
    Our web2go services deliver effortless access to the entire Web, optimized for your T-Mobile Smartphone."

At $24 per month you'd think it would be full data, but I'm not sure. If I used it on the iphone would it give me full data or would I have to use a proxy just like Tzones?

2. 2056 macrumors 6502

i'm not sure which package you had before but web2go is an updated version of tzones.
    i THINK you would have full data capability.

you may want to ask about t-mobiles day pass..which will allow you to test the service for 24 hours. this is something that came out when web2go launched. i'm not exactly sure if the day pass is available for ALL data packages or just the 9.99 web2go.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Is there a way to access data on T-mobile without hacking the iPhone? Can I just enter an apn? I'm on a prepaid plan with T-mobile.

4. 2056 macrumors 6502

without hacking? none that i'm aware of.
    especially with prepaid..you're limited to free web2go/tzones service.

5. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, thanks for the tip ill check out the day pass thing.

They sure make this confusing. I put some random Samsung smart phone in my kart with a family plan and this is what I got in the add-on options:

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screencapturegw4.jpg

But then I click on the bottom add-on plan, with the 400 messages, it says it is web2go, but also "Unlimited Web".

Owell Id certainly say it sounds like full data, seeing as it would be weird to not offer any normal data plan on an expensive smart phone. Ill have to see wether it works on the iphone or not though..

6. 2056 macrumors 6502

i do see where you would get confused by the wording indicated in the picture.
    they are the exact same data plans (unlimited web) but with the 400 mms/sms bundle difference.

they're trying to "accomodate" anyone that already has a text bundle.

not that you're interested in the g1..but those data packages are the same:
    24.99 for unlimited web only
    24.99 for unlimited web and 400 text
    34.99 for unlimited web and unlimited text

7. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah I see, yeah i tried adding the one with 400 messages and then the unlimted family messaging plan and it wouldn't let me have both.

so would i probably be able to just pop the sim in the iphone? or would I have to change "apn" or anything like that?

or does tmobile acutally support iphones? like if I walked into a tmobile store and asked them to get it working on my unlocked iphone.

8. 2056 macrumors 6502

when the phone is unlocked you will still need the proper configurations to have the data services working.
    just call customer care and ask to be transferred to the department that handles unsupported devices.

9. WRXJIM macrumors newbie

If you have an unlocked iPhone, when you get your sim they label your phone as "unknown device" in their system. You have to talk to customer service for that as they need to set it up for you. (sounds like each of their phones that are data capable have specific plan setups, all for the same cost though) customer service can do it (they did it for me), I didnt need to be transfered to a specific department. (maybe I got a tech savy chick :) )

Its $25 for unlimited data and 400 texts.

You cant get the 3G network as they are on a different frequency, but the edge speeds are pretty darn good.

I have a unlocked Vodaphone New Zealand iPhone, and it works perfectly on t-Mobile.

T-Mobile have been great to deal with and very open to any advice I have needed for plans, or other information.

10. WRXJIM macrumors newbie

Yep, Bonn, Germany to be exact.

and is a subsidary of the german telekom? (it was at least)

The States need Vodaphone!!!