iPhone with Universal dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nitro1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I have a iPhone 4 and i am having an issue with my sound not working when i plug my phone into a universal dock from Apple. It affects the alarms, ringer, unlock noises and ringtone noises. So more or less everything. I am trying to figure out why. It is not the new year bug because it has been doing this for a few weeks now. Could it be the dock?

I need some help with this issue because i use my iphone for all my alarms and it not going off is not good for my work and personnel life.
    :(

Thanks in advance.

2. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Do you have an audio cable plugged into the dock? If not, there's probably something wrong with the dock. My audio works fine in the universal dock.

4. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not have any cable going into the dock. It worked fine before and now it has just recently started. Also now when the phone get on just the right angle it goes to a screen saying this device is not supported. Also just to be fully clear. I have an iPhone 4 with a bumper on it and no dock piece in the universal dock. it is just the dock and the phone without one of the fitted inserts.

5. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's the same setup I have. That also worries me a little, because the added stress on those little connectors from not having any support may have damaged something in your dock or even in your phone. Does your audio work when it's just plugged into a bare cable?

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by bare wire. DO you mean into the headphone jack, because yes it does. Or do you mean a apple connector into the bottom of the phone. And again yes the audio works. Like i said it is not a always thing, but it does seem to happen more and more.

7. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Just meant the apple connector cable without the dock. Since everything seems to work fine, I would say it's probably something in the dock. It's not really designed to support the full weight of the iphone. As far as I know, there's no real good solution here...and, I think I'm going to forego the dock from now on to avoid any problems.

8. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is an option but i really like being able to see my phone. Not have to pick it up and look at it.

9. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Depending on your work surface, what I've done in the past (and will probably do again), is take a car cell phone holder with a suction cup, invert it and stick it to my desktop. Then, just plug your phone in and adjust your viewing angle.

Not quite as convenient and a little more ghetto than slipping into a dock, but if you want to keep the bumper, it'll work.