iphone with verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vegas421a, Jan 17, 2008.

1. vegas421a macrumors newbie

vegas421a

My friend recently showed me his iphone and I was extremely impressed with it. I would go out and get one right now, but I have a contract with verizon and all my family members do so I won't be going to ATT. I have read that you can buy unlocked phones that will work on any network, but how long will it last before apple puts something out to stop this.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

it wont work on verizon or sprint (or other non GSM carriers). it must be a GSM enabled network.

3. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Verizon phones use CDMA to transmit their signal
    Att Uses GSM to transmit their signal
    iphone = GSM, which = No way

While it is possible that apple could make an CDMA iphone given the fact that verizon has opened their network to any phone. It is not probable given the fact that ATT has a multiyear exclusive deal with the iphone.

But given this: http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-11399_7-332-101.html
    You might want to stay with VZW and get a voyager.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I wouldn't hold my breath for a CDMA iPhone. Apple went for the biggest bang for the buck across the world by going gsm. Supporting CDMA would require a second engineering effort. Of course there is that AT&T excusive as well which would seem to preclude a CDMA version for quite some time.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    If Verizon had accepted their proposal back in 2005, the phone would have CDMA :)

Not a big deal. Other manufacturers do it.

Aye, there's the real rub.