iPhone without 3.5mm jack will be separate iPhone Air. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danistyping, Jan 6, 2016.

1. danistyping macrumors regular

I'm thinking this will be a separate model called iPhone Air. They would be dumb to eliminate the jack across all of their products. But they see the future and will start phasing it in. If iPhone Air does well, the jack will be removed from all phones in the coming years.

Also I don't think it will be called iPhone 7. I think we get 3 models:

iPhone
    iPhone Plus (or pro)
    iPhone Air

2. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

3. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

In that case, Apple will need to come up with 6 models, 7, 7-air, 7+, 7+air, 7c, 7c-air.
    Not happening, design are expensive, and carry multiple material parts, and finish products are even more expensive.
    There will be 3 models most, mark my word.

4. iZac, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

My original assumption last year was Apple would market the new 4" phone as an 'air' model. Maybe the cpu runs slower and the lack of a 3.5 jack makes it less 'versatile' (and cheaper), leaving the larger models as the 'pro' version. They already add extra features to the 5.5" version with software and hardware perks.

The barrage of subsequent rumours put that personal theory to bed for me, but I still quite like the thought of a smaller, super thin 'fashion' phone which appeals to the skinny jeans crowd.

5. Jsameds macrumors 68030

For the last time, removing the headphone jack isn't about thinness. You can support a headphone jack at 5.1mm, iPhone 6S is 7.1mm

Removing the jack is about reducing the overall size, not just the z-axis.

6. catean macrumors regular

Exactly, like making the bottom bezel smaller.

7. oldmacs macrumors 68040

My desperate wish would be that the new 4 inch phone would become the iPhone 'Classic' - it wouldn't necessarily get thinner every time, it would instead get a bigger battery, it would maintain the 4 inch screen, it would also maintain the headphone jack.

8. danistyping, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

danistyping thread starter macrumors regular

Right, I get it, but you're missing my point. Look at the iPad Air. Is it really much thinner than its predecessor? iPad mini is thin too...but it's not called air. Why is the MacBook Air thicker than the new MacBook? See where this goes?

Air is a marketing term they use and I believe it will be used to introduce a modern, sleek and home button-free phone called iPhone Air.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2016 ---

I disagree and believe it will be simpler than what you claim. No numbers after phone names anymore. 3 models:

iPhone - standard/avg sized screen

iPhone Plus or Pro - larger screen

iPhone Air - screen is either same as regular iPhone or smaller. No 3.5 jack, no home button and possibly no wake button or volume rockers. Much less bezel, thinner and super sexy. Wireless/Bluetooth everything...may even exclude lighting port in exchange for wireless charging. Anyone bothered by this stuff would just get one of the other models.

9. Nipommu macrumors regular

Not enough to market as another product. 99% sure iphone 7 will be thinner than 6s and I don't see apple pushing a thinner version of this due to lack of jack. At this point it is diminishing return if they choose to go this route any thinner worse battery and prone to bending. If the size stays the same then deleting the jack is not marketable. I think most people won't even care/notice as long as apple supplies the earphones like they always do.

10. danistyping thread starter macrumors regular

You're thinking like a consumer instead of an apple exec. Why would they make the new MacBook, which has almost no physical connectability and is absurdly thin?

11. Nipommu macrumors regular

Not enough to market as another product. 99% sure iphone 7 will be thinner than 6s and I don't see apple pushing a thinner version of this due to lack of jack. At this point it is diminishing return if they choose to go this route any thinner worse battery and prone to bending. If the size stays the same then deleting the jack is not marketable. I think most people won't even care/notice as long as apple supplies the earphones like they always do.
    sorry accidentally reposted
    I am a consumer and this is how I see it. There could be a iphone air just like there were ipad mini, iphone plus, etc etc, but as a consumer's point of view i believe most people won't notice enough to make decisions solely on lack of jack alone. I could see apple adding more 'features' to the no jack/thinner air phone (have no idea what those could be) but without added benefits I think as a business venture to market another phone as 'air' is, i believe not worth distinguishing for apple. I'm just a consumer with no business background but for me, in order for the air to be desirable there needs to be more things along with it because if not, i'll just buy the 'regular' next flagship iphone.

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Why no 7+ thinner without 3.5mm jack?
    It make no sense to me when Apple spend more effort design plus version of phone, since it has more feature than regular, and it is extreme popular in Apple latest market growth, China.

13. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

I couldn't see no home or sleep/wake button, as those are needed for when the software fails (hard reset, recovery mode)

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This seems awfully fragmented for Apple. iOS barely takes advantage of the current phone lineup as is.