iPhone without 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mykbibby, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I want 3G on the next iPhone really bad. However, how hilarious would it be if Steve took the stage at WWDC, and announced the next iPhone with some decent new features, except it had EDGE, and not 3G. The riot that would result on the forums would be so priceless, I think I would sacrifice having 3G on the phone just to witness the reaction! Any thoughts?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, you have to remember Steve is pretty old, and although he can be rather funny, doing that would probably cause Apple stock to plummet as fast as 3G :D

3. aforty macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be laughing.

That said, there is absolutely no possible way in hell that the next iPhone doesn't have 3G. I'd bank my first unborn, my gf and all my worldly possessions on it. There's just no way... no way!

4. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I really hope it doesn't have 3G so I can take the first child you have, your girlfriend, and all your worldly possessions. And sell them all on eBay.

5. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

LOL.

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

So if Jobs gets on stage and the next iPhone he announces is a new model of 2G followed by an announcement for a 3G phone, you're screwed.

Cool.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be funny and a big hit to Apple since everyone got excited and waiting for a 3G version.
    Even though 3G is not available everywhere in the US but Edge is.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

That wouldn't be funny, that be just stupid.

A lot like this thread!

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I could see it happening. The iPhone hasn't even been out a year yet. How long did Macs only come with a one button mouse? Has 3G chips improved in power efficiency enough in the past year to give the same battery life?

10. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i smell a new mastercard commercial ;)

btw, power efficiency on broadcom 3G chips have improved (which apple uses i think)

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Damnit... beat me to it!

This thread is kind of pointless, since we all know that whether or not it has 3G a large portion of the forum is going to complain about something.

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Of course the next iPhone is going to have 3G otherwise they'll be locking themselves out of the Japan market. Why would 3G not be considered now? 3G chips have have their power usage reduced in the last year, a slightly higher capacity battery and there will be no noticeable drop in battery life.

And everyone in Europe is laughing at the iPhone since we've had a well established 3G network and years worth of phones to take advantage of our networks.

14. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

well they were stupid enough to introduce a 16GB EDGE, maybe they did it just to keep sales going.. but daft//

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's as simple as taking out 1 chip with the same dimensions and power usage and dropping in another that just has double the capacity. 3G isn't like that and requires a radical change in the internal hardware, as well as new drivers.