iPhone without a Data Plan(Canada)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snaky69, Feb 27, 2009.

1. snaky69 macrumors 603

My motorola razr is getting old and buggy and my ipod nano 4gb is starting to be pretty cramped in the storage capacity, and I figure I could replace both those devices at once, so why not get an iPhone right?

I don't browse on the go, ever, unless there is wi-fi present, so a data plan would be pretty much useless to me. Read: 3G would serve no purpose for me. Now I know I can get the phone without a data plan without a problem, what I want to know is if the phone itself will use data regardless without any action from me? Say to update weather or the like?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

At the very least visual voicemail will use data - regardless of weather or not you have a data plan or not. You have to remember that the iPhone is designed for use with a data plan, otherwise you are essentially crippling 90% of the functionaility.

3. deyjavoo macrumors member

just curious...where do you get an iphone without a data plan? i guess as long as the app store is available then that wouldn't be so bad, but i can't imagine someone purchasing an iphone and not use the amazing web browser.

4. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

Visual voicemail will not be used, nobody I know has a phone capable of this, so I guess this is a non-issue for me?

5. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

I can still use it on wi-fi networks, and pretty much everwhere I go(school, home work) has a wi-fi network that is free. The rest of the time I'm driving, so not much web browsing to be done.

6. deyjavoo macrumors member

if the 90% is accurate, i would hardly call this a "non-issue".

7. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm not sure I'm following you.

I basically want to make the two devices to be replaced by a single one. I want a phone that'll hook up to my iTunes, and if I want to browse when I'm at university then I can log into the wi-fi network they have there, etc.

I just thought of the iphone because I like :apple: products.

8. deyjavoo macrumors member

I was referring to the other poster that said you would be crippling 90% of the iphone's functionality.

9. shivapashupati macrumors newbie

iPhone in Canada

Since the monthly fees in Canada for the (voice and data) iphone service is still at $60/month, thanks to the Rogers monopoly in our country, I plan to wait until some sane competition brings these fees down to the $30/month that Americans presently enjoy. It may not take that long...

10. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

That could also be an idea. A friend of mine is using an unlocked first gen iphone on the rogers network, I'd have to ask him how much he pays per month and if he uses mobile internet at all.

11. macdim macrumors 6502

If you don't want to use data right now, and want to wait until Rogers drops its data prices (it'll probably be a while), then have them block data on your account. Your phone will be UNABLE to use data even if it wants to. You can sign on to any voice plan with the iPhone as well.

12. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

buy an unlocked 2G 16gb iphone (since you dont need 3g) off craigslist or kijiji, i doubt it would be more than $300 possible even 200-250. Jailbreak it get Boss prefs to block data, AND cal rogers and tell them to block your data.
    You should then be good to go.

Or get a 3g and still block data both ways and if a data plan comes up that is a good deal unblock and you are good to go at 3G speeds.

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

pls tell me where in amarica that data/voice is $30.

14. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

+1

The only foolproof way to use an iPhone without a data plan is to have data blocked on the provider's end. I've been using an iPhone with data blocked since July and have had no problems.

The only aspect of the phone that doesn't work when data is blocked is visual voicemail - it will revert back to regular, call-in voicemail. Every other function that requires data will simply not work if you're not connected to wifi.

15. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

So I just call up fido, tell them to block data and I'm set, correct?

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Look at the number of providers selling Blackberry's and the rates are the same so don't believe that competition will be the magic bullet that will lower prices.

17. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

All U.S. iPhone users, please don't give pointless answers. 90% of the iPhone is dominated by Apps, which can be used by both Data and Non-Data users. Just be sure to block data to avoid huge charges, like what I did to mine, installing a fake APN. It will use data even if you don't want it to. Then you can start using prepaid or monthly plans.

*Lock this thread please, Thread Starter, please use the search features, there are plenty of articles about this.

18. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

ghetto

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am in exactly in the same boat as you. I own a Razr as well. My contract expires this summer. However, I am really looking forward to the new cell phone carriers coming to canada. These guys in particular: http://www.wirelesssoapbox.com/

They are said to be launching a new website soon so maybe they will tell us what their plans might look like. So if at all possible I would hold out on getting stuck in a contract until these guys announce what they are going to look like.