iPhone without a Data Plan? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by groove-agent, Jul 6, 2007.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I totally want to get an iPhone as it has most of the features I've been looking for in a phone (plus a camera that can actually take decent pictures - in the right lighting conditions and of still objects). For a phone of this magnitude, I'd even spend up to $1000 as it almost doubles as a small personal computer. However, I just cannot justify having to pay for a data plan for two years for a crappy internet experience, particularly since it has WiFi. It just seems like a waste of money. If you could do just a voice plan on one of these bad boys, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and even sign up for a 2 year contract (I normally just buy the phone outright - I hate contracts).

Does anyone know if it's even possible to use the iPhone without a data plan?

2. strieck macrumors member

4GB iPhone = $499
    iPhone Data Plan = $20/month
    2 years = 24 months

$499 + $20*24 = $499 + $480 = $979

3. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, did i mention that has to be in CDN dollars and include all taxes? ;)

I dunno, spending over $60 a month on a cell phone just so that i can use the phone's built in features (that don't rely on a data connection) just seems like such a waste of money.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

did somebody forget to add the voice plan as well? :rolleyes:

5. strieck macrumors member

The OP said he would be willing to spend $1000 on an iPhone without the data plan. I showed him that the costs specific to the iPhone w/data plan add up to less than $1000 over two years. He'll need a voice plan regardless of which phone he uses.:rolleyes:

It still wouldn't be a lot more than $1000 CDN and half of that would be spread out over two years.

6. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

You can, but not only would you lose non-WiFi web capability, but also the visual voicemail. That's what I saw myself on the computer screen at my local AT&T store when I had this conversation with the rep earlier today. I tend to use WiFi a lot more than Edge, so I inquired about it. I ended up keeping the data plan since $20 isn't THAT bad, and I don't wanna lose the visual voicemail which is apparently part of the iPhone data plan.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not a good idea to get one if you are going to be roaming in Canada the whole time.

8. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's great news if you're correct. I've had a PDA (Audiovox 6600) phone before and they told me you couldn't just get a voice plan. I was paying over $50 with minimal voice features and NEVER used the internet. I ended up buying out the contract and getting a ROKR. If the unit has WiFi, that works for me. If I need internet access, I'll just drive to the latest Starbucks with a hot spot. For the most part, I'm just looking for a cell phone with a PDA plus an iPod. This way I don't have to carry around 3 items.

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

the thing always is connecting to the internet. it would rack up quite a bill using pay per usage on EDGE. a penny per KB.

10. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

If SonicTonic is correct about being able to have a voice plan and no data plan, then I'm sure there is a way to disable the autoconnect to the internet. Normally these devices will prompt you if they need to or are trying to connect.