Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I was thinking of purchasing a new phone since my old one is on the verge of dying. I'm currently using a very basic T-Mobile plan with no data or anything fancy. Would it be worth it to purchase an unlocked 2G iPhone to use with my plan? If so, is there any way I can turn off data so I don't get charged? Thanks.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I was thinking of purchasing a new phone since my old one is on the verge of dying. I'm currently using a very basic T-Mobile plan with no data or anything fancy. Would it be worth it to purchase an unlocked 2G iPhone to use with my plan? If so, is there any way I can turn off data so I don't get charged? Thanks.

I have to say that the iPhone is a great phone. I'd suggest spending the $5.99/mo and getting the unlimited data, as it's WELL worth it. Not sure about turning off data, I just got the invisible shield installed and can't turn it on for another 22 hours. -_-

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have to say that the iPhone is a great phone. I'd suggest spending the $5.99/mo and getting the unlimited data, as it's WELL worth it. Not sure about turning off data, I just got the invisible shield installed and can't turn it on for another 22 hours. -_-

i heard that, why cant you turn your iphone on after getting an invisible shield?

chaoses

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Maryland, US
so can AT&T upgrader from regular AT&T phone to iphone 3g ($30 data plan / month) cancel the data plan and just use voice and wifi?

dancavallaro

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
i heard that, why cant you turn your iphone on after getting an invisible shield?

Because it's possible/fairly likely that you will get a little bit of the solution in your phone while putting it on, so it's best to let it totally dry before turning the phone on again.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA

If your 2G iPhone is already jailbroken, then install an app called BossPrefs. It allows you to turn off EDGE, or Wifi, or both.

Lord Egregious

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
I had an iphone for a month without a data plan while on att. I jailbroke it before I inserted my current sim card and installed bossprefs and disable edge. It worked perfectly. Then I redid the contract so now I'm on the att data plan and was able to switch it off and get edge working.

Just make sure to install bossprefs before you put your sim in so you can avoid any attempts the iphone may make to access the edge network.

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH

This is all possible.

Whether or not it's worth it is a question you have to answer for yourself. However, at $5.99/month with T-Mobile, your data plan is quite cheap.

jezebel19

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
plan question

Sorry if this question doesn't go here. I am new to whole iphone and actually having a contract. I had boost mobile before. Anyways I got 2 phones and was wondering about how much a month do you pay and what type of plan I am suppose to get. I don't want to get any extra stuff that i don't need. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

SCStevens04

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
NC
BigBoss Working

I installed BigBoss Preferences and turned EDGE off, however whenever I walk away from WiFi, I see that "E" pop up. Is EDGE really on in that case?

1st Gen iPhone with 2.0

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I installed BigBoss Preferences and turned EDGE off, however whenever I walk away from WiFi, I see that "E" pop up. Is EDGE really on in that case?

1st Gen iPhone with 2.0

It's not on. It's just showing that it's in Edge mode (no wifi available). That doesn't mean it can actually connect to Edge.

If you want, try Safari when no wifi is available and the Edge icon is there. You should get an error saying that it can't connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.