iPhone Without AT&T Service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gan6660, Jun 21, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Is it possible to get the iPhone 4 at full retail price without being an AT&T customer? Does anyone have any experience from other purchases? I keep getting different answers, Apple corporate says yes while the Apple store says yes and no depending on who I talk to.

2. christyn macrumors 6502a

No, they won't allow you to do this without a AT&T account.

3. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Have you heard this personally? I just got off the phone with Apple corporate and this time they said no but my other local apple store said definatly and thats its no problem to do this.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

The normal policy is that an AT&T account is required. "Required", as in the POS device at Apple Stores makes the employee type in a valid AT&T phone number before it will continue to the screen where the employee can finish the sale.

In a month or two ago, Apple dropped that policy, and also dropped the policy limiting iPhones purchases to a certain number. Anyone could walk in and buy an iPhone for $599 or $699, no AT&T contract required. They typically do this towards the end of a generation, to clear out stock.

They typically put both requirements back on (that a phone number is required, and there is a max per account) at the launch of a new iPhone. They want to limit the initial iPhone stock to AT&T customers, and they also want to limit the maximum a person can buy.

So if you call Apple Corporate, they're probably telling you what's right. If you can an Apple Store, they're probably telling you how it is today. And today, they're still selling the old inventory, not the new iPhone 4.

5. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I even asked them about iPhone 4 specifically and they told me I could, so do you think they just dont know the new info yet?

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Who knows. Maybe Apple/AT&T are doing the iPhone 4 launch differently this year. :confused:

7. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well finally talked to an apple rep who actually made sense he told me that they do sell them contract free but not at launch and its usually months after. He also told me that apple corporate is advising the retail store today that they are not allowed to sell contract free phones after the iphone 4 launches.