iPhone without Data Plan... how?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cash68, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Cash68 macrumors newbie

I've searched, I know there are similar topics, but they are all old and outdated. From fellow iPhone users, I found out you can no longer just "unclick" the data plan at myatt.com. So... how do I cancel the data plan? I'm at school 95% of the time and we have wifi there so it's stupid for me. I don't want or need visual voicemail, I'm getting a 1st gen iPhone purely to combine my phone and ipod, and have a nice usable calendar. So again, all you people that say you should get a data plan... I really don't want one. Seriously. I just want a phone/ipod/planner/picture device in my pocket. I do not want the internet in my pocket.

- Rob

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You are SOL. It is required, unless you unlock the phone and use another SIM.

TEG

3. Inukami macrumors 6502

call AT&T and ask them? If they say no you will have to cancel contract... But in the end that I'll probably save you money since $39.99 for phone service is bs.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Nadda. Don't want to pay for the service, get a new Phone. Although base on reading, you could technically cancel your contract and use the pay as you go option and turn off data via network.

5. Cash68 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what do I have to do then, exactly?

6. Cash68 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would getting a brand new phone change anything? Are you saying a new phone would allow me to cancel the data plan, but buying a used one won't?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just seach for the programs to unlock an iPhone EDGE and follow the instructions. Then just get a different phone with the GSM provider you want to use then transfer the SIM and you should be good to go.

But if you have a 3G, you are SOL.

TEG

8. specify macrumors regular

He meant get a different phone

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

You might wanna think about mentioning which country you're in. I gather from the subsequent responses that you're in the US, but still...

Here in Sweden the data plan is optional. When you buy a new iPhone you can either choose one of the pre-packaged iPhone plans (iMini, iMidi or iMaxi), or you can get any of the carrier's generic plans. If you're an existing customer you can keep your current plan and move your SIM card over to the iPhone (which you buy at the non-subsidized price). You can later add a flatrate data plan on top of that, or you can use the flexible data plan included with the generic voice plan and pay per MB. Or you can get the flatrate voice + flatrate data + 500 SMS plan for about $100/month.

So I guess my advice is... move far away from AT&T...?