iPhone without data plan possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by axisdrama, Jul 20, 2008.

1. axisdrama macrumors newbie

Is it possible to get an iPhone without a data plan?

I have a lot of access to Wi-Fi and I'd like to save $30 a month.

I have searched, talked with reps, and am getting conflicting messages. Here's the situation: I am currently an AT&T customer on a contract and I am a Premier member with a family plan. Do any of these options work? Have any of you gotten this to work?

1. Buy current 3G iPhone for $399, get the contract with data plan, and call the Premier customer service later to cancel the data and get a WIX block.

2. Buy an 1st Gen iPhone through ebay or craigslist, jailbreak it, and just slip in my current SIM card. Again, call to request WIX block.

3. Other ideas/experiences?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

3. axisdrama thread starter macrumors newbie

I have searched...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I certainly have searched this forum. My confusion is that there seem to be differing ideas of what can be done and I was looking for a more definite answer.

Is there a consistent, reliable way to turn off data from either a 1st gen iPhone or iPhone 3G (either through jailbreaking or simply calling AT&T and requesting a WIX block)? Or, does AT&T consistently refuse to allow WIX blocks and demands users to pay for data on iPhones?

On the forums, it seems that some users have been able to find friendly customer service reps who cancel data and set up a WIX block while others CS reps claim it is not allowed.

I want to buy an iPhone (for music and the software), but would hate to then be locked in to paying $30/mo. for data when I don't need it and would just use Wi-fi when available.

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

You can, but it will cost you. You have 30 days (buyers remorse) to cancel your iPhone plan (which requires the data plan). If you cancel the data plan, it cancels your iPhone contract. You are then required to return the iPhone or be charged full price for the phone. I'm not sure of the exact time you have to return before you're charged, but that's the only way to do it.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

number 1 won't work because you are locked in for 2 years on the $30 data plan once you buy the iphone and sign that contract, you can cancel it within 30 days but you have to return the iphone as well or be charged the full unsubsidized price of the phone. which i think is like $200 or $300 bucks more.

number 2 will work if you use one of the apps out there to jailbreak, activate the phone. you can just pop your sim card in and use it as a regular phone.

6. dualhcsniatpac macrumors newbie

This is not correct. I have looked into this a lot and like the OP said there are lots of conflicting statements out there. Others have read through all of the contracts and there is nothing about cancelling your data plan. The only thing that i have found is IF ATT catches you with an iPhone WITHOUT a data plan, they have the full right to add the $30 without your consent. So basically what im trying to say is you might get someone to take it off for you but you take the risk of another rep putting it right back on without you knowing. If you dont believe me go into the ATT store and look on the back page of their brochure on the bottom, last paragraph.

I tried to get the same for my gf but no luck. (I actually argued with a sales rep at the store cause he said it didnt have to be in the contract. How can you charge someone something when they didnt sign for it. After that i found it in the brochure. Boooo!!!!)

7. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It's not canceling the data off your contract, buyers remorse which is also available for the iPhone means you cancel your contract period. If you're already with at&t, you'll revert to whatever contract you had, and you have to return the phone in perfect condition, or if you don't, they'll charge you for not returning it. If you were with another carrier, probably can't do it, as it would mean porting the phone back to your previous carrier, which wouldn't be easy.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The no-comittment phones for $599/$699 should be available after demand dies down and you can get whatever plan you want.

The subsidized iPhones REQUIRE a data and voice plan together, and if you take it off, others on the forums say the contract gives AT&T the right to put it back on at any time without your consent.

9. axisdrama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies, guys! It seems, from your responses, that I could get a data-free iPhone by:

1. Buying a jailbroken iPhone off of ebay or craigslist (either 1st gen or 3g) and slip my sim card in it.

2. Buying a contract free iPhone 3G when they come out.

Thanks again for your replies!

10. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

The "contract free" may very likely have a data plan on it too.

Jailbroken phones won't let you use any SIM you want, they are still carrier locked. An unlocked phone will.

The possibilities of cheap unlocked iPhone 3G will be few and far between, as people won't want to be paying a 2 year contract when you're using the phone. You may see some come out after the no contract option are made available, but they won't be cheap.