iPhone without data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ljwinter, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Ljwinter macrumors member

A friend of mine just bought an iPhone 4 and currently now has an iPhone 3G sitting around not getting use. Is it possible to give it to someone who DOESN'T have any type of data plan and just let them use it as a regular phone? Is there a way to disable all data abilities on the phone to prevent it from accessing the internet? Couldn't I just put restrictions on Safari, Mail and any other apps that would use data??

2. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    My mom is doing just that. She bought the iPhone from craigslist and has never been required to add the data plan. Of course, I see no point in having an iPhone without the data but she seems to like it :p

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes you shouldnt have any problems its only when your buying the phone on contract with a carrier they expect you to add a data plan, you should just have to pop your sim in the 3G and use it for cell and wifi, but you might want to confirm with AT&T that they wont try to upgrade your current plan when their system sees your SIM in a iphone

4. Ljwinter thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks a lot. I'm going to give them a call.

5. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

We did this for my sister and after a week it said a dat plan had been added to her phone number even though we had all Internet off and even disabled Internet connection on her number! So beware you may end up charged

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wish it was that way here in the US but its not like Canada.
    With AT&T an iphone data plan is mandatory if you're using an iphone on post paid account and it doesnt matter if you got the phone used or under contract.
    The system will detect the IMEI and send you a text that an appropriate data plan has been added to your account.