iphone (without internal compass) compass configuration??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chriswlsmith, Jan 23, 2010.

1. chriswlsmith macrumors newbie

Hi guy's (i'm new)

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I can't find it. I am trying to find out if you can configure an 'old' iphone that doesn't have an internal compass so that it can recognise where it is when stationary. I have heard that so long as the phone has GPS technology (this would allow it to recognise north when moving between GPS points) then you can configure it to recognise north when stationary by pointing the camera at a known position/landmark an it will the calculate where north is.

This is so that I can incoporate augmented reality technology within 'old' iphones.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated. Kind regards, Chris

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Yes, through gps, wifi, and triangulation. the 3G can do all this without the compass.

It would be able to tell you that you had moved north, but not the direction you are facing.

which would require you to register the image of every landmark/skyline from almost infinite angles. Rather intensive, in every respect.