iPhone without the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jerH, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jerH macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have a question regarding the iPhone 3...I run a lot and have been using the Nike+ GPS app on my iPod touch to track my runs. Since the touch obviously lacks GPS though the Nike+ app becomes less and less accurate as my runs get longer. On 10+ mile runs it's not uncommon for the app to report distances that are off by over a mile. I have no need for an iPhone as a phone, but was considering picking up used one to basically act as an iPod touch with GPS. Are there any issues with trying to use the non-phone functionality if the device is never even activated as a phone? Thanks!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I do believe GPS works without a SIM in the phone. Should anyway.

3. jerH thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool...I had seen some other forum posts where people had described issues with trying to do something like this, though they were all with 2g models.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Will need an app like tomtom or navfree that has offline maps though.

5. jerH thread starter macrumors newbie

The Nike+ GPS app will handle the mapping...I'm assuming it can download whatever it needs to via wifi...

6. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Don't you need the sim card in to activate it in iTunes? I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember this being the case. Either way, if you're buying the phone, just get a free pay as you go sim card to put in it.

Also, have you tried Run Keeper Pro? I'm not sure how it compares to the Nike+ app as I've never used it, but RKP is excellent.

7. jerH thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my big concern...that a SIM is necessary to get things up and running and might be required everytime you want to update iOS. I'm not all that savvy when it comes to phones...how might I acquire a SIM to use strictly to get things moving?

8. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

which country do you live in?

In the UK any of the networks will send you a free sim card (from their website usually), some even with credit on. I can't confidently say what the state of play is in the US but I would hope they would do they same!

9. jerH thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the cosmopolitan metropolis that is Dayton, Ohio so I'm not holding out hope for a vibrant trade in SIM cards! I'm sure I could sort something out though. I'm probably not going to undertake this until the iPhone 5's come out and the prices on old 3's and 3GS's drop as more 4's come on the market.