iPhone won't accept my .mp4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miTunes75, Apr 17, 2009.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

I have converted some of my movies to .mp4 but for some reason, when I try to drag/drop them from iTunes to iPhone, it says that it didn't do it because it cannot be played on iPhone. I thought that to be weird so I pulled up the apple site and found out that it does indeed read .mp4 files. Am I doing something wrong?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Click on the movie and then go to Advanced in the iTunes menu bar. Then click on create iPhone/iPod version.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

.mp4 can mean any one of a billion different setting combinations. The iPhone will play many of those combinations, but nowhere near all of them.

Follow the advice already given above me, but if that doesn't work for you look for other solutions that have "convert to iPhone" as a buit in pre-set. Things like Quicktime Pro, or iTunes, or Handbrake (for DVDs, anyway) are good because you pick an "iPhone" setting.

Manually exporting requires a lot of trial-and-error. It can be done, but life's too short. Search the forums for the forums for how to play movies on the iPhone and you'll find a lot of software suggestions.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you have a Mac you should try getting VisualHub or the free iSquint. :D

5. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

+1 for handbrake. You can use the ipod setting or the Apple universal setting. The Apple Universal setting is great because it creates an mp4 that can be used with iTunes, ATV, ipod and our PS3.