iPhone won't call...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by barrywalsh789, Nov 15, 2010.

1. barrywalsh789 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I bought a new iPhone 4 last September. I'm from Ireland and didn't want to have a contract so I bought it from Apple online.
    Anyway I'm having a problem with phone calls. Everything else is working perfectly, but all of a sudden, it just started crackling the whole time. This got worse and now it's just pure silence, you can't hear a thing. The odd time it crackles a little bit now, but mostly, nothing.
    I DID jailbreak, but I don't think that should really be the cause, but it's the only thing I can think of pointing the finger at, cause I've a case on the phone, and I still can't hear anything through headphones, which makes me think it's a software problem, and not hardware.
    I've done 3 restores and it's still not working. What would you suggest I should do? I don't think Apple would fix it if it was jailbroken, but a restore should fix that problem entirely, shouldn't it? And would they know if it has been if I did a restore?
    Any advice would be much appreciated...

2. gnychis macrumors 6502

seems to me like it could be a failure of the actual speaker, from the crackling you got. Plug in headphones, can you hear the call?

3. dlacar88 macrumors newbie

i had a similar situation. any call, whether inbound our outbound, terrible static. the sound was like trying to tune an AM radio with no stations available.

i was jailbroken. deduced the jb was not the problem. restored from new and visited the genius bar. he went into the back, ran a few tests, came out 3 mins later and indicated the phone had a faulty transmitter.

gave me a new unit.

good luck.

edit: after the restore the crackling was still present. at this point i figured it was a hw issue.

4. barrywalsh789 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I tried that too, it doesn't work with headphones, or on loudspeaker.
    Hmm, I would bring it in but there aren't Apple stores in Ireland. Should I just go ahead and call them and ship it off in the hopes of getting a new one?? I don't see myself being able to fix it if it won't work after multiple restores...