Iphone wont configure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quinnman56, Apr 3, 2017.

1. quinnman56 macrumors newbie

I bought an iphone 7 second hand. It was all wiped and ready to set up. When I inserted my sim card and tried to set up the phone it says "name of business" will automatically confiure your iphone. Then it wants login information to the business' website. Did I get completely ripped off or is there anyway to still use this phone? Thanks! I don't want to mention the business name.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

To be sure that it is not software related, go into settings and do "erase all content and settings.' If after you do that and you still get the message, the phone has been modified for that business and either the phone was not properly reset to factory settings by the previous owner / business, or it is a lost / stolen phone.

If you don't get anywhere after the erase, try to get your money back. Did you buy it off Ebay?

Edited to add: I think you got taken advantage of.

3. quinnman56 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was on and working. I hit erase all content and settings. Everything deleted. The problem was when I tried to set it back up. It won't configure the phone without a login. I bought it off offer up.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If I had to guess it sounds like you ended up with an employee device for that business.

Apple allows businesses to use software to control the Apple devices that the business owns. Only the business can remove the control.

5. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

Try to get your money back on offer up, if you made the payment through PayPal do a dispute. Or get the software removed if you can

6. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I had this happen to a second hand iPad I purchased, but fortunately it was legitimately sold by the company. They were able to release the iPad from their company and it was good to go. Short of having the company release the device, there is absolutely no way to get around it. It's kind of like iCloud lock, except this is called the Device Enrollment Program.

I'd suggest giving the company a call and see if this was a legitimate sale or a stolen device.