iphone wont connect to work network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sotorious, Jul 19, 2011.

1. sotorious, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

sotorious macrumors 6502a

Why is this? at home its fine. What settings do i need? Something is slightly different from my home 1 and my work one.

2. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Chat with the IT boys at work. There could be something they're doing to prevent you from jumping on that network.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Guess what. Maybe they don't want you on their network. If IT wanted you connected wouldn't they be helping you?? :)

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Generally IT doesn't want you on the network but allot of the times they don't mind but they aren't going to exactly extend an arm without you explicitly asking. But talk to IT there are allot of authetication protocols on higher end networks that you may not even see. Since you haven't given us the symptoms of whats happening we can't really be of good help without better details. They could be MAC address filtering, using an unsupported encryption technique, etc.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

At our office, we have a "guest" network for employees' personal devices and visitors to use. This has saved a lot of headaches during meetings where the visitor forgot a file and needs to get their email from outside our firewall.

I visited a company in Ohio last week that had no guest network. All I had was my iPhone. While I was there, I stepped out of the meeting so I could attend a webex, with 3G switched off (to save battery and data cost), using my iPhone 4. It's nice to have my own internet connection with me all the time but I do wish more companies offered guest networks.

6. Thish macrumors newbie

Thish

We have a guest account...I'm ok to use it. it works for me. Try to ask someone who is using in your office

7. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol i am IT guy, this is part of my business, im just trying to figure out what the differences of the settings is vs here and my home. Laptops and computers can jump on it but not my phone.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Then what is the phone doing/saying...is it connecting to the network and not allowing a data connection? Is it not able to connect? Give us heavy details.

9. sotorious, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i connect shows a check mark but the wifi symbol never replaces the 3g symbol. ive retyped the password like 20 times. I wanna say it did that with my old phone as well 2 which was not an iphone, so i am guessing something in the settings is messed up. BUT computers connect to it no problem.

I also have a lynksis router.

Since everyone was saying "Usually IT doesnt want you on the network" What would they do to put a block onto cell phone connection?

10. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

please dont bump your own thread

13. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

I fixed it, stupid firmware upgrade, although feels like the wifi is now running a bit sluggish.

I have a lynksys WRT54G and upgraded to Firmware Version: v1.02.8

had 1.0.1 before that.

Seems to connect on and off on and off.

14. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why not?

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If everybody did this, or even the small percent that would like to, you would have to then rebump to bump the other bumps.

Also, when you bump, you then force others to read what they think must be new posting, when it is not.

bumping is usually outlawed on message boards

16. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well if i have yet to find my solution, would you yet rather me make a new thread about the same thing? or re bump an even older thread where there was other pending problems.

There was a gentlemen helping me was re bumping just in case he maybe forgot about this thread.

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

against fourm rules

18. david.pena macrumors member

Its a grey line. If i respond to people who respond to my questions then it can be interpreted either way. It a case by case basis IMO.