Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Hey guys I just got a black 16 gig iphone and when I get home and try to join my WiFi connection the phone says "Unable to join Network 'Blah Blah'" Can someone give some suggestions on what to do for this. I will try and reset my router, but I wanna see if there are any other suggestions.

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Are you using WPK-PSK for the authentication? It's case sensitive - took me a while to work that out first time around :rolleyes:

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
A common mistake is that sometimes the router has a button on it that you need to press to stick it into pairing mode, have a look for one of them.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
A common mistake is that sometimes the router has a button on it that you need to press to stick it into pairing mode, have a look for one of them.
No I don't have one and have never needed to press a button on my router to connect to my wireless network

Balistix

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I'm having the same problem with connecting my new 3G iphone to my wifi network at home. It connects perfectly with other wifi networks but does not want to connect to mine regardless of whether it is secured or unsecured!

Jase2008

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland UK
when i set mine up yesterday, it didnt find my network for a while. Although it seemed to find every network around the area. But the second time i tried it, it found and logged on no problem.

:confused:

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Having the same problem here. I have an old iphone and upgraded to 2.0 and my ability to connect to my wifi has been very sporadic.

Last night I was able to get it to connect by manually typing in my wifi information/password via "other network." However, this morning, not even that will work. I constantly get the "Unable to Join Network *****" error message.

I can't imagine it can be anything other than the 2.0 upgrade because I never had this problem before.

lnferno

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Yeah, I just got the new iPhone 3G yesterday and I'm having a similar problem. I've setup the WiFi access to connect to my WPA Linksys wireless router at home. It will connect and then sporadically lose it's connection even though I'm within a few feet of it. :confused:

spathi

macrumors newbie
Hi,

I noticed some of you mention you have a Linksys router?

I had the exact same problem and found upgrading the firmware resolved the issue.

Please take a look at a post I wrote regarding this here for this and another solution.

I hope this helps a few of you out.

Cheers,

Josh

jamieboss1

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Linksys

I also had problems with my linksys router and iphone 3g up until about 2 minutes ago. I updated the router's firmware and then enabled wpa and wpa2 under security settings and the phone is finally working on my home network!
Hope that helps.

lnferno

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
I'm still having the same problem. I didn't need to update the firmware as it already had the latest version. WPA/WPA2 is definitely enabled.

When you guys setup your WiFi connection, are you specifying WPA or WPA2 on your iPhone?

My SSID isn't set to broadcast, but that shouldn't matter.

GeeeWhiz

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
iPhone wont join my WiFi

I'm having the same trouble here at home. There are 2 new 3G iphones here. One logs in maybe 1 try in 3 and the other logs in maybe 1 try in 20.

At home I use WPA. A laptop and a desktop computer upstairs connect to my wifi with no problem.

There doesn't seem to be any problem using the iphones with unencrypted wifi in the mall.

Yesterday I went into Apple and they set up a WPA wifi for me and both iphones logged in just fine.

Any ideas for trouble shooting will be appreciated.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I'm also having the same problem, my 3g iPhone connects fine, but my brother's 2g iPhone wouldn't connect to wifi after 2.0 update. Also if I call Apple would I get a coffin to send the iPhone in or would I have to bring it to a retail store to get it fixed? The closest store is about 1-1/2hr away

lnferno

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Holy cow, I finally figured out what the deal was. In my linksys configuration, for the Encryption Algorithms, I had to select "TKIP+AES". Before I just had TKIP. I just changed it, now it's working like a charm for me! WHEW!

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
after I changed the setting, the iPhone detects the router, then I enter in the key, then it join then it won't see the wifi. I hope 2.01 fix this bug :mad:

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Weird. I think it definitely has something to do with updating the router. If you have an archaic Linksys you may have to update....I have a brand new Linksys 802.11n UltraRange Plus blah blah router and it works just fine with BOTH my original iPhone and my iPhone 3G...

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I have the 54gv2 one the black linksys one. It worked before the update, so I don't think it's the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.